[NOBE-L] Announcing my first book!

Emily K. Michael emily.k.michael at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 01:27:09 UTC 2019

Good evening, everyone:

I am excited to announce the publication of my first chapbook, Neoteny: Poems. Neoteny is coming out from Finishing Line Press in November, 2019. What better way to enjoy your winter weather than with a little book of poetry? Neoteny is a collection of poems at play.

Jillian Weise calls this collection, "a remarkable chapbook of ars poeticas, Blind pride and love poems. One poem has me thinking of Edna St. Vincent Millay; another of John Milton. This is an impressive debut.”

John Lee Clark says “Emily K. Michael’s poems are, to borrow her own phrase, ‘Spoken with brave sweetness.’ Refreshingly lyrical and non-didactic, her work represents a new voice in disability writing, one that is addressed to friends and loved ones rather than to an anonymous and hostile public. This collection creates an intimate space in which insiders and outsiders alike can feel at home.”

And Jill Khoury writes that, "“Neoteny weaves together a Dickensonian garden of sensual details. But this collection is more than a biosphere of pleasure. The blind body is centered in many poems, as is Michael’s frustration when blindness is not “convenient’ or ‘popular.’ Where other political poets get loud, Michael gets soft, and where other political poems explode, these poems smolder.”

You can order my debut collection by visiting this link: http://www.finishinglinepress.com/product/neoteny-poems-by-emily-k-michael/?fbclid=IwAR0jmLCkaKxvTKXbdo3gt6pRypslcIJnyG77j0jqZNKQh8p2FKl3ACwZyAg <http://www.finishinglinepress.com/product/neoteny-poems-by-emily-k-michael/?fbclid=IwAR0jmLCkaKxvTKXbdo3gt6pRypslcIJnyG77j0jqZNKQh8p2FKl3ACwZyAg>

Are you interested in a braille copy of this collection? Message me off-list, and I’ll arrange it!

Your pre-orders matter! I am in my advance sales period, and the number of pre-orders affects the book’s pressrun. More pre-orders means a larger pressrun…more copies of the book in circulation! So reserve your copy today.

When you click the book link, you’ll see my beautiful cover with art from Jacksonville photographer Chelsea Whiteman. I am delighted to showcase these beautiful local coneflowers.

Cover description: The cover shows a field of  pink echinacea (coneflowers) with orange centers. The focus is on one prominent flower and the surrounding flowers are blurred out. The title text is in white lettering in the upper left corner, with the author’s name in the lower left corner. The photo is shot in amongst the flowers, with hints of leaf green and slate blue in the background.

I am so looking forward to sharing my poetry with you!

Warmly,
Emily

—
Emily K. Michael
emily.k.michael at gmail.com <mailto:emily.k.michael at gmail.com>
http://emilykmichael.com/ <http://emilykmichael.com/>

My first book Neoteny: Poems is available for pre-order from Finishing Line Press! Click here <http://www.finishinglinepress.com/product/neoteny-poems-by-emily-k-michael/?fbclid=IwAR0jmLCkaKxvTKXbdo3gt6pRypslcIJnyG77j0jqZNKQh8p2FKl3ACwZyAg> to order your copy.