[NOBE-L] Guide Dogs in the Classroom

Rena Seay ras98j at acu.edu
Wed Apr 21 13:56:18 UTC 2021

Good  morning,

I have worked in education for the last 20 years with a guide dog. I've
always managed to win over terrified students and staff. Most of what
you've said has worked for me in the past. Recently, there was a new para
in my class and she was the most scared I've ever seen. One of the
things that helped was having me of on tiedown and holding the leash at the
same time. I think it gave the it showed that I could control the dog if
the tie-down happened to fail. it took a while but several times of this
behavior worked in my case. You might also try showing her a video of guide
dogs working. I'm sure she has seen your dog work but it might be helpful
to see there are many dogs trained to be a good guide dog. Prayer for the
whole situation.

Blessings,
Rena Tuttle