[NOBE-L] Guide Dogs in the Classroom

sarah at sarahblakelarose.com sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Wed Apr 21 14:07:01 UTC 2021

It may help to give the student some control of her situation. Yes, it is your dog but accommodating childten with fears can make a lifetime of difference. Let her see the dog leave the room with someone else for a few moments so that she can have a moment to breathe. Tell her that you understand fear and tell her something you are afraid of and that you have had to learn how to live with. Then give her a strategy so that she can build some strength for deciding to let the dog back in the room: perhaps by counting to three or by thinking of something positive she can do when she feels afraid. Give her permission to draw at her desk or something else active--holding a toy does not release fear-induced energy.
It may also become necessary to transfer her to another 2nd grade class, but I would recommend involving her in that decision so that she feels she has control over whether to confront her fear or whether to handle it by transferring to Mrs. so-and-so's class, so that she does not feel rejected because of her fear.

Rev. Dr. Sarah Blake LaRose
sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
http://www.sarahblakelarose.com