[NOBE-L] Considering Teacher Education

Michelle Creedy michelle.creedy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 14:17:57 UTC 2021

Hello,

I live in British Columbia and work in the school district as a braillist.

I've been finding out about what it would take to do the teaching program in my area.

I'm meating so much resistance! Before I'm even in the door, they are having issues about me being a safety concern. Of course, not having teaching experience, I feel lost as to how to set their minds at ease.

I'm totally blind, a braille user and I use a white cane for mobility.

Is this possible or am I functioning under some illusion that I can do this?

Do you tend to work with an education assistant in the class who gives visual information to you and perhaps discerns how writing and so on is going?

What about things like gym time?

What blindness skills should I be working on if I don't have them already?

How do you deal with things like print resources and writing on the board? My own ideas are things like putting braille on some of the resources and finding resources that are also electronic. I was thinking that perhaps a smart board with a computer could be used with board work.

Anyway, I probably don't know what I'm talking about here but I'm at a loss as to how to deal with people who tell me I can't before they know me. I'm so resourceful as I'm sure all of you are. My end goal is to work with blind children because I really have a passion for making sure our children know braille and have tools to empower them.

Michelle