[NOBE-L] Student teaching

Chase Crispin chase.crispin at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 23:14:08 UTC 2022

Hi Shelbi,
First, student teaching, and teaching, is totally doable. I student taught in the fall of 2019 and now teach middle school music in a large public middle school. As for tracking progress, this will look a bit different, but is not a significant concern. Sighted teachers may write on a sticky note or clip board as they make observations. I do this on a BrailleSense, so use any tool that helps you take notes quickly. My biggest tip is to move around the room constantly as you teach. You will pick up many nonverbal signals by being near students and hearing their movements, etc.

Classroom management is tricky for anyone, and it takes time to develop your own style. I was not confident in classroom management going into my student teaching. You will be able to work with your cooperating teacher to come up with strategies that work for you. That person will be able to tell you what you are missing early on, and help you figure out how to work around that. It is, unfortunately, one of the things that you can only learn by doing. The more time you can spend in the classroom, the better.

Some tips for classroom management include having very predictable routines. This will help you know when and where students should be moving and make it easier to notice problem behavior. Move students around in the room as you get to know them to keep certain students away from others. Find responsible students who are leaders who can assist you with visual tasks when needed. Have a specific place for students to put items such as bags and water bottles. That will make it less likely for them to fidget with them and also ensure you have a clear space to move around the room. I know these are general tips, but hopefully can get you started.

I, and many others on this list, teach sighted students independently. I understand that your advisor may have concerns and questions, but trust yourself and stay committed to your goals. My former advisor from college would be glad to speak with your advisor, as well. If this interests you, feel free to contact me off list. I hope this gives you some food for thought to get started. Let me know anytime if I can do anything to help you.

Chase Crispin