[NOBE-L] Seeking Ideas, Multimedia James Webb Images

Tina Hansen th404 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 23 23:29:48 UTC 2024

I'm interested in ideas for creating multimedia models of the James Webb
images. Do any of you have thoughts on how I could do it? I'm hoping to
combine audio with touch so these can be interactive. One idea I've thought
of would be to create a book with the tactile images, Braille descriptions,
much like I've seen elsewhere. But if there was the right technology, the
book could be outfitted with Bluetooth technology that would connect it to
an app, or a more self contained environment. The book would come with a
flexible surface to allow exploration and either have built-in sound or just
use your smart phone or tablet along with the sound equipment you have.

The big edition would be audio commentary done with capable voice talent,
along with sonification of graphical data?

Please go with me here.

Let's imagine that you have a blind/visually impaired student in your class.
The other students have visual images to look at, but your student has this
book.

The student opens up this book and chooses what image to explore. She reads
the Braille description in the book for an overview, but then wants
something more interactive. Since the book comes with a platform, like a
stage, with embedded touch sensors, she pulls out one of the Southern Ring
Nebula.

The surface is equipped with Bluetooth technology that connects to her smart
phone or tablet, and for privacy, the student is using a bone conduction
headset. As she explores the image, a skilled narrator, let's assume Levar
Burton,  explains, guides and orients her to what she's looking at. In
addition, sonification brings the graphical data to life, but Burton is
right there pointing out highlights.

I used Levar Burton as the narrator just to hang the scenario on a peg.

So has anyone tried to do anything like this? Thanks.