[Nyabs] NFBNY State Convention Agenda

Lucy Cox septembergirl95 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 03:31:57 UTC 2010

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NYS
                                 CARL JACOBSEN, PRESIDENT

54th ANNUAL CONVENTION

OCTOBER 22 - 24, 2010

ADAM'S MARK HOTEL, BUFFALO, NY

THE FUTURE IS OURS
NO CRYSTAL BALL NEEDED

Don't forget to become a backer in the NFB Derby of one of our horses leaving the gate at the banquet. The window closes at 5 pm Saturday.

Take a chance on a Book Sense donated by GW Micro.  Tickets are $5 each or 6 for $25.  Winner will be drawn at the banquet.

Also please support our Student Division's 50/50 raffle.

We'd like to express our appreciation to Vanda Pharmaceuticals for their GOLD level support of this year's convention.

We also would like to thank the Jewish Guild for the Blind for their SILVER level support.

In addition, GW Micro and the Olmsted Center are acknowledged as BRONZE level supporters.

FRIDAY OCTOBER 22, 2010

9:00 A.M. - 3:30 P.M.   Seminar for Parents and Educators of Blind Children, Cayte Mendez, Coordinator, POBC of  NYS

10:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.  INFO EXPO:  Updated technology and

 services, Mindy Jacobsen and Chancey Fleet, Coordinators

12 Noon Lunch break.  Pick up your PRE PAID box lunch in the hallway outside the meeting room

1:00  - 3:00 P.M.  Commission For The Blind and Visually Handicapped Town Meeting

3:00 - 4:00 P.M. Diabetics Division meeting

4:00 - 5:00 P.M.   Board of Directors meeting, Carl Jacobsen, President  (all welcome)

FRIDAY EVENING

7:30 - 10:30 P.M.  Hospitality and Dance sponsored by the Students Division and the Buffalo Chapter

SATURDAY MORNING

7:00 - 8:45 A.M.  NYAGDU breakfast meeting in the restaurant

7:00 - 8:45 A.M.  Breakfast for Scholarship Committee and                       recipients in restaurant

General Session

9:00 A.M.  Call to order, invocation, announcements and convention arrangements

9:30 A.M.   Presentation of the Scholarship Class of 2010,

Ray Wayne, Chairman, Scholarship Committee

9:45 A.M.  A Word From Our officers

10:00 A.M. State of the State Report, Carl Jacobsen, President

10:30 A.M.  Report from the National office, Patti Chang Esq., President NFB of Illinois and National Board member

11:00 A.M.  Neighborhood Legal Services, James Sheldon, Managing Attorney

11:15 A.M.  Report From CBVH, Brian Daniels, Associate Commissioner and Peter Crowley, Assistant Commissioner

12:00 - 2:00 P.M. Lunch Break.  Students, diabetics and merchants programs in rooms to be announced.  Pick up your PRE PAID box lunch in the hallway outside the meeting room.  The diabetic luncheon will feature a look at several styles of shoes for diabetics and free accessible glucometers for all attendees.

SATURDAY AFTERNOON

2:00 p.m.  Looking Back and Looking Forward, Adreinne Asch, Professor of Bioethics, Yeshiva University

2:20 P.M. From an Interest to a Career in Computing, Stephanie Ludi, Associate Professor, Graduate Program Coordinator, Dept. of Software Engineering, Rochester Institute of Technology

2:50 P.M.  Father John Sheehan SJ, Xavier Society For the Blind

Board Chairman

3:10 P.M.  What's New at the Olmsted Center ?,  Renee DiFlavio, Senior Vice President

3:30 P.M.  Communicating Computers for the Blind, Lou Calesso, President and Chief Operating officer

3:50 P.M.   Blind Industries and Services of Maryland, Amy Phelps, Director of Rehabilitation

4:10 P.M.  An Evening With Donald Kempinsky, Tim Murray, Little Fella Films, London, England

                                 SATURDAY EVENING

7:00 P.M.  Banquet, Mindy Jacobsen, Mistress of Ceremonies

Invocation

Keynote Address, Patti Chang, Esq.

Presentation of Scholarship Awards

SUNDAY MORNING

7:30 A.M. Roman Catholic Mass, Fr. John Sheehan Celebrant

9: 00 A.M.  General Session

Invocation

Report from the Resolutions Committee

Resolutions

Charting our path into the Future:  New business - Planning the Coming Year

11:30 A.M.  Adjourn

septembergirl95 at gmail.com

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked.