[Nyabs] Minutes for March 14th conference call

Walei Sabry walei.sabry at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 23:48:04 UTC 2012

Hey all,
My name is Walei and I'm the new Secretary/treasurer of NYABS. I've
pasted below the minutes for our conference call from last week.
Please let me know if you have trouble reading it. My email is
Walei.sabry at gmail.com
Thanks,
Walei

Minutes for March 14th:
Attended:
Board Members: Kate, Nihal, Chancey, and Walei
General Members: Valeriya and Alex
Guest speaker: Patti Chang

1.	Old Business:
a.	Hunter Text book in Braille:
i.	Chancey started a motion to contact Hunter’s Disability Service
office and get a statement about their policies regarding text books.
ii.	Motion was supported by all the board members.
b.	Motion to change conference call times to the second Sunday of
every month at 6 PM.
i.	Motion was passed.
2.	NFB National Scholarship:
a.	Deadline is March 31st.
b.	How to apply:
i.	Apply online at http://www.nfb.org/scholarship-program
ii.	You can save your progress and finish it at different times.
iii.	When you submit a completed application with all the required
documents, you will receive a receipt.
c.	Basic requirements:
i.	Proof of blindness: Must be blind in both eyes. Preferably just a
letter from a doctor that declares you legally blind. Please avoid
sending long medical reports
ii.	Must be attending an accredited college in the U.S. or Puerto Rico
for the 2012 scholastic year. 29 Scholarships will be awarded to full
time undergraduate or graduate students. Note: one Scholarship will be
awarded to a candidate who is working full time and going to school
part time.
iii.	Must participate in all of the activities in the 2012 NFB
National Convention.
iv.	2 reference letters: avoid using friends or family members. Some
good examples would be an employer or professor.
v.	President’s letter from the NFB affiliate where you reside. For NY
that would be Carl Jacobson.
d.	What they’re looking for:
i.	Academic leadership: They want potential leaders that can go on and
assume leadership roles in the NFB. Don’t be humble. Highlight your
strengths and qualifications.
ii.	What’s your attitude about blindness? How do you view and handle
your disability? Avoid stories of overcoming disability, and the super
krip.
If you have questions e-mail Patti Chang at scholarships at nfb.org
3.	Next conference call will be April 8th at 6 PM.