[Nyagdu] November 24 Conrference Call Report

Margo and Elmo margo.downey at verizon.net
Wed Nov 26 00:18:15 UTC 2008

Hi, Friends. We held a conference call November 24 at 8 p.m.  The Attendees were:  Margo Downey, Cheryl Echavaria, Joyce Carrico, Julie Phillipson, and for a little while, marion Gwizdala, president of Nagdu.

We discussed the membership and dues structure of NAGDU and its divisions.  Joanne Wilson, Afficliate  Action Directory at our National NFB office, has reminded all of us that when we belong to a state division, we also belong to the National division and we're all connected.  the ad hoc committee studying our dues structure and I'm one of the members of that committee has recommended to the NAGDU Board  that each member of each state division would have five dollars sent to NAGDU.  Some states may have to change their dues structures. We were encouraged to go to the NAGDU Board meeting on Sunday, November 30, 2008 at 8 p.m. to hear about and to speak to this proposal.  The conference call phone number is:  641-715-3300 and the code is 560908 and press the pound sign.  We were also encouraged to find fund-raising ideas.

We feel the email list is more active and id going well.

We've discussed everyone ordering the brochures concerning wht you meet a guide dog team from our National office of NFB.  We had also talked about where to place these brochures.  it was suggested last evening that we also place them with retailers and businesses in malls, in shopping centers, etc.

We need more members--to find more members.  I will write an outline of a letter to be sent to chapter Presidents and to our State NFB board members to help us find more guide dog users.

We talked about fund-raising.  Julie suggested that we fund-raise at dog shows.  Cheryl talked about Mimi's Pupcakes and we'd like Daryl from that business to attend a conference call in January or February.  We could sell these treats at bazaars, dog shows and through other means.

We discussed the ADA law and state law concerning I D cards.  We talked about the ADA trumping the state law if the state law is more restrictive and vice versa.  We need to try to get the part of our state access law stricken that states that someone can ask to see an I D card to prove the animal is a service animal.  The ADA is less restrictive in that the Justice Department has determined that an I D card cannot be asked for.  so, our state law is in violation of Federal law at this point.  one card we can use in getting this done is to state that people could file complaints with theDepartment of Justice because they were asked to produce an I D card.

We also discussed investigating a guide dog incident reported to us before going into full action.  for example, the case in Buffalo concerning Children's Hospital has ended because the person who experienced the incident blew it out of proportion.  However, we are now training hospital security guards and hopefully soon will be training police.  So, there was a good ending anyway.  The incident was investigated further before full action was taken and that was a good thing.

We felt it was a productive conference call and hope more people can join us during subsequent calls.

There will be another call this Saturday at 8 p.m. for anyone who did or did not attend yesterday's call.

If the other attendees recall something I didn't report, please mention it. Thanks.

Margoa nd Elmo