[Oabs] ATTN Fundraisers. The Maurers are awesome!

Kaiti Shelton kaiti.shelton at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 04:28:22 UTC 2014

Hi, Elif and all,

These are great questions!  To give you a better idea about the
bookmarks, they will be an advocacy tool as well as a usable bookmark.
I don't have the official description yet, but basically one side
would say "The National Federation of the Blind" and "The Ohio
Association of Blind Students" on it, and would also have the "Live
the Life You Want" tagline and logo.  This will be in print and
braille.  On the back side, there will be a brief description of how
braille works in print, and a braille alphabet chart.  The end of the
printed description will say something like, "Can you use the braille
chart to crack this message?"  The message will be printed in a
braille font for the print readers, as well as in braille.  It will
say, "Seeing occurs in the mind."

Since the bookmarks will be interactive to sighted people, they will
be marketable to both blind and sighted readers.  I know people on my
campus would be interested in having something like this, so it could
potentially be very profitable even when selling to sighted people.

3.5 inches is roughly the length of my index finger.  I have seen
bookmarks this width, and the extra room would give us plenty of
space.  Nicole at NBP said 9 by 3.5 was the standard size for
bookmarks, but I can consult with her once we get the description.  If
it makes a difference to go 3 by 9, or 2.5 by 9, and we can still fit
everything on the bookmark and have it look attractive, then why not
cut costs where we can?

I'm really happy for this progress, but also for the progress we're
making with the list serve by using it as a forum for this discussion.
Go OABS!