[Oagdu] You can't have the best of both worlds... Or can you?

Angel angel238 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Aug 18 18:44:48 UTC 2015

Are there any other criteria any of you might use who might object to being
transported by someone in a private vehicle?  If so, how is this different
from similar discriminatory objections against dog guide users?  An example
being:  That of an epileptic driver, or one with diabetes.  Diabetic drivers
aren't permitted to drive commercial vehicles.  Yet, they drive themselves
and their families all the time.  If such a person has an accident, the
circumstances surrounding that accident should be examined, and if
necessary, driving privileges might be revoked.  As was probably done in the
case of that train engineer who killed all those people recently.  Because
he was speeding.  Causing his train to derail.  I believe he was fully
sighted when this occurred.  But, if a driver is licensed, it should be
assumed he is competent.  Till proven otherwise.  As was done regarding this
engineer.  Blanket restrictions ought not be invoked.  Totally Deaf people
drive.  If legally blind people are restricted from driving with whatever
technology which might be available to assist with this task,  Should they
be restricted from attempts to graduate from medical school as a legally
blind person.  Or, as blind persons use to be when I attended high school,
restricted from taking chemistry or home economics courses?  Based on no
other reason than some subjective assessment such was not possible.  Because
the individual is blind?  Should legally blind individuals be barred from
shooting ranges, or from taking shooting lessons?  Or from operating heavy
machinery.  Based on the same reason.  When we restrict people from such
tasks as driving, are we not negating their own ability to determine for
themselves their competency levels?  Are we not doing to them the very thing
we say is wrong for sighted people to do.  When they determine for us,
rather than allowing us to do so for ourselves, our ability to perform
occupations satisfactorily?  I think we are.