[Oagdu] You can't have the best of both worlds... Or can you?

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue Aug 18 19:20:39 UTC 2015

I have zero tolerance for drinking and driving, believe anyone over 65
should be tested annually to determine if they have the agility and
mental ability to drive a car.  At this time we do not have the
technology for a severely visually impaired person to drive a car.  I
believe driving is a privilege and many people who currently drive
should not drive.
I have worked with people who are blind and visually impaired in a
professional position for over 20 years and know that giving up
driving is the most difficult thing many of them have to do.  Many of
them continue to drive long after it is safe to do so and, in the
state of Ohio, it is recommended, not required, that eye doctors
notify the state so driving privileges are taken away.  That is not
ture in every state.  In some states, it is mandatory that eye doctors
report when someone's vision is too severe.  It scares me to think how
many drivers are on the road who have no business being there.  I will
be glad when cars drive themselves.

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053