[Oagdu] article about guide dog banned from church bus

Kathy Zolo kzolo at wowway.com
Thu Jul 23 22:03:37 UTC 2015

Hello all,

Now that I have read the article, I personally know the handler. If this is the stand her pastor has taken, I can understand. I had a similar issue with a church many years ago, also with a boxer. Most boxers that I have had or seen are very loving and wouldn't hurt a flea, especially not a child. I had just had my first daughter and the church didn't want to let me and the dog into the nursery. We did compromise by me agreeing to muzzle my dog while I was in the nursery. This worked out well and I am thrilled to say that there were no incidents with the children or the dog. We have had the reverse happen with our church.  My husband and I have been members of a church for at least 8 years. Our girls used to help with driving us there and home since they were also attending the same church we were. That has now changed and the church is now using the church van to pick us up. Each church is different and so each situation must be handled individually. I'm sure that Cathy was just trying to make it convenient for the church bus to pick them up rather than for someone to have to come out of their way. I can say from experience that people using their own private vehicles can also bring us liability issues. I think that the pastor and Cathy need to sit down and brainstorm through this situation whether by phone or in person. Most churches my husband and I have been in will willingly sit down and try to work out a solution to this type of situation or any other situation for that matter. I sure hope this can be resolved.

Kathy and Dixie