[Oagdu] Crating our dogs.

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Tue May 12 21:05:09 UTC 2015

That is a good question.  At CABVI each area had someone who was in
charge of making sure the area was cleared.  People who had to crate
their dogs were told to leave the dogs and the person in charge of
safety would get the dogs.  There were some areas at CABVI where it
would be dangerous to keep your dog near you.

On 5/12/15, Megan Schief via Oagdu <oagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:

>   I never thought of that. The question is, If there is a fire emergency
> or something that
> would happen and the people couldn't get to their dogs, what happens. i
> think contact
>
> with your dog is important in such a situation for the safe of the
> clients. Megan and MS. P.
>

> Deanna, what if everyone with a dog had it tied down under the table.
>> Would that create problems for the dogs or the people trying to move
>> around the area?  If so, then I think it would be permissible for the
>> employer to ask that the dog be in a crate. Other employees might get
>> upset if you are treated differently than they are.  I am no expert so
>> this is just an opinion.
>>
>> On 5/12/15, Deanna Lewis via Oagdu <oagdu at nfbnet.org> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> I have an interesting question and would like feedback on this. When is
>>> it
>>> legal for an employer to make you crate your dog? I ask this because
>>> sometimes at work, I go to different departments to help them out if
>>> they
>>> need extra help. I work for a blindness agency and my main job is as the
>>> morning receptionist, but I've worked in the Bindery and making folders
>>> as
>>> well. When I've been in these areas, I have been the only one who uses a
>>> guide dog. So, I've always had my dog on tie down underneath my
>>> table/work
>>> area. Everyone has seemed fine with that, since the dog is out of harm's
>>> way
>>> and can be nice and comfortable.
>>> Recently, there have been people who are doing folders who have gotten
>>> guide
>>> dogs. They keep these dogs in crates, but I am not sure if that's by
>>> choice
>>> or if they are required to now. I've been asked to do some extra work
>>> helping with folders, but I would greatly prefer not to crate my dog.
>>> I'm
>>> not even sure if they would make it mandatory, but I'd really prefer tie
>>> down. It will be harder for me to monitor my dog, if he is in a crate.
>>> Plus,
>>> I am still new to Mambo, so I want him close by. Since I used to have
>>> Pascal
>>> under the table, I don't see why they wouldn't allow me to have Mambo in
>>> the
>>> same area. But who knows?
>>> So, back to my original question... In what instances can an employer
>>> make
>>> it mandatory to crate your dog?
>>> Thanks for your insight!
>>> Deanna, Mambo, and Pascal (who went back to Grandma's yesterday)
>>>

>>> --
>>> This email was Virus checked by UTM 9. http://www.sophos.com
>>>
>>> Sent from the Clovernook email system
>>>

>> --
>> Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
>> Teacher of students who are blind or visually impaired
>> (513) 607-6053

Marianne Denning, TVI, MA
(513) 607-6053