[OAGDU] OAGDU monthly meeting

Richard Payne rchpay7 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 08:34:24 UTC 2023

This is not the only research but please use this to gain more knowledge.

 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/nfb-settlement#content> Skip to content
<https://www.uber.com/newsroom/nfb-settlement#footer> Skip to footer

 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/> Newsroom

*	 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/news/> News
*	 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/company-info/> Company info
*	 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/leadership/> Leadership
*	 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/media-assets/> Media assets

US | Apr 30, 2016

Settlement with the National Federation of the Blind

Written bySarah

Share

UPDATE . MARCH 1, 2017

As part of Uber's settlement with the National Federation of the Blind
(NFB), we have taken steps to provide driver-partners with additional
information regarding their contractual and legal obligations to transport
riders with service animals. These steps include:

*	An updated service animal policy: Uber has updated its
<https://accessibility.uber.com/service-animal-policy/> service animal
policy, which highlights driver-partners' contractual and legal obligations
to riders traveling with service animals, as well as the company's
continuing commitment to addressing rider complaints.

*	In-app notifications for new and existing drivers: All new
driver-partners receive an in-app notification that requires them to
acknowledge their contractual and legal obligations related to accepting
service animals on trips.  Existing driver-partners received that in-app
notification earlier this year.

*	Updated quarterly communications: All driver-partners receive an
email once every three months with information related to transporting
riders with service animals.
*	Process for reporting a service animal denial: Our specialized
support team handles all service animal-related complaints to ensure that
alleged incidents are appropriately investigated, documented, and resolved.
These reports can be filed in our Accessibility Help Center from within the
Uber app or from a computer using
<https://help.uber.com/h/5f3eac46-e977-44a0-873e-f1881d48f4cb> this form.

ORIGINAL POST

Today we have asked for approval from the U.S. District Court for the
Northern District of California to settle a lawsuit brought by the local
chapter of the National Federation of the Blind.

As part of this settlement, we have agreed to take steps to make clear to
drivers using Uber that they are obligated to transport to any passenger
with a service animal. If the settlement is approved, drivers will see a
pop-up in the Uber app reminding them of this obligation. We will also send
periodic email reminders to drivers.

We have also agreed to publish a service animal policy which, in addition to
our  <https://www.uber.com/legal/other/code-of-conduct/> code of conduct and
<https://www.uber.com/legal/other/driver-deactivation-us-english/> new
deactivation policy, makes clear that any driver found to have refused
someone with a service animal will be barred from using the Uber platform.

We will also pay the National Federation of the Blind $225,000 over three
years, and the Federation will run a testing program to evaluate the
effectiveness of the settlement by having blind riders request and take
trips on Uber.

Our goal at Uber is to make transportation options more accessible to all
individuals, including those who are blind, low-vision or have other
disabilities. We are committed to continuing to build
<https://www.uber.com/newsroom/https:/www.uber.com/newsroom/commitment-to-in
novation-for-the-blind-and-low-vision-community/> technological solutions
that support everyone's ability to easily move around their communities.

<http://www.nfb-serviceanimal-settlement.com/media/615300/class_notice_-_8.4
_update.pdf> Here is a link to the Notice of Proposed Settlement.

The latest Uber news

 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/2023-ubereats-eatscation-deals/>

 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/2023-ubereats-eatscation-deals/> US | Jun 29

 <https://www.uber.com/newsroom/2023-ubereats-eatscation-deals/> Your Uber