[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Tuesday amazing facts devotional

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Thu Apr 1 04:14:03 UTC 2021

WHAT SHOULD OUR RESPONSE BE TOWARD THOSE WHO LEAVE THE CHURCH?
March 30, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

I imagine everyone knows at least one person who was once walking with Jesus and was enthusiastic about being a Christian, but then he or she stopped attending church.

There are many reasons people stop going. About 2.7 million former church members reported they drifted from church activity due to their lives being too busy, while others said they no longer believed in some of the teachings of the church. But, surprisingly, the vast majority indicated that they simply didn’t like the pastor or had a conflict with another member. It happens all too often. Look at these sad statistics:

• Each year 3,500 churches in America close their doors permanently.

• 150,000 people leave churches for good every week.

• 32 percent of people surveyed after leaving church reported that no one from their congregations ever contacted them.

It’s unfortunate that anyone has felt ignored, rejected, ostracized, or injured by another church member or group of members. The church should be a loving and safe place, a sanctuary where sinners come to find hope, healing, and spiritual nurturing. But it doesn’t always work out that way. People don’t always follow the Lord’s command to love one another, and often the result is that someone leaves the church.

When Jesus said, “But go rather to the lost sheep of the house of Israel” (Matthew 10:6), He was speaking of these missing members who have drifted away from the church. He was letting us know that we should be especially involved in searching for them. Rather than turning our eyes away from the problem, we should “bear one another’s burdens, and so fulfill the law of Christ” (Galatians 6:2).

We should search for these people with enthusiasm, like the woman searching for her lost coin (Luke 15:8). Searching is the first step in bringing them home.

Tomorrow we’ll look at some specific things we can do to help someone in that situation.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And they that shall be of thee shall build the old waste places: thou shalt raise up the foundations of many generations; and thou shalt be called, The repairer of the breach, The restorer of paths to dwell in."
Isaiah 58:12

AMERICA IN BIBLE PROPHECY MAGAZINE
Does the Bible speak about events transpiring in our world? What does Revelation tell us about the key players in the final events? Is it possible that the United States will no longer be a sweet land of liberty?This beautifully designed magazine provides a clear and balanced overview of Revelation 13 and 14 to help your community understand what the Bible says about the final superpowers on Earth.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)