[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed Apr 28 10:14:46 UTC 2021

IS IT PROPER TO LEAVE AN INHERITANCE TO UNCONVERTED CHILDREN WHO MIGHT SQUANDER IT?
April 28, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Two facets must be considered when addressing this issue: love for God (loyalty to His cause) and unconditional love for your children. It is important to communicate love to all our children in our estate planning. If the last act of a parent’s life is to cut out a son or daughter from the will, an adult child might be forever turned from accepting the Lord. This leaves a bitter scar that is almost impossible for children to forget. “A good man leaves an inheritance to his children’s children” (Proverbs 13:22).

The other dynamic is that we must give an account to God for how we distribute our assets at the time of our deaths. To leave considerable wealth to unconverted children is, for practical purposes, placing God’s resources in the devil’s hands. “He who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me” (Matthew 10:37).

The answer, it seems, is balance. You naturally want to leave enough for your children and grandchildren to communicate your love and thoughtfulness or provide for practical needs such as education. Giving non-cash assets, such as property and family heirlooms, can also convey this.

Before King David died, he told his son Solomon that he arranged to leave the bulk of his assets to build up God’s house. “Indeed I have taken much trouble to prepare for the house of the Lord one hundred thousand talents of gold and one million talents of silver, and bronze and iron beyond measure, for it is so abundant” (1 Chronicles 22:14).

You can be sure that David left a generous inheritance for Solomon and all his children, but there is no doubt that the majority of his prosperity went to build up the house of God. This is an excellent example for Christian parents today. Parents set a lasting example and make a powerful impression when their children see that they chose to seek first God’s kingdom with their estate planning.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"An inheritance may be gotten hastily at the beginning; but the end thereof shall not be blessed."
Proverbs 20:21

AMERICA IN BIBLE PROPHECY MAGAZINE
Does the Bible speak about events transpiring in our world? What does Revelation tell us about the key players in the final events? Is it possible that the United States will no longer be a sweet land of liberty?This beautifully designed magazine provides a clear and balanced overview of Revelation 13 and 14 to help your community understand what the Bible says about the final superpowers on Earth.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)