[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: WHAT IS BIBLICALLY PERMISSIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO ENTERTAINMENT?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Tue Aug 3 11:50:28 UTC 2021

WHAT IS BIBLICALLY PERMISSIBLE WHEN IT COMES TO ENTERTAINMENT?
August 03, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

With the onset of the Internet, smartphones, and HDTVs, the average person swims through a constant waterfall of entertainment advertisements every day. There has never been a time in history when one’s senses have been so assaulted by worldly media.

We need to be aware, then, that the Bible standard is very high. In Philippians 4:8, we read, “Whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just ... meditate on these things.” If you apply these criteria to what you’re watching, reading, and hearing, you will be following the very best counsel available.

King David writes, “I will set nothing wicked before my eyes” (Psalm 101:3). When we follow this as a guideline, we’re more likely to choose activities that nurture the fruits of the Spirit in our lives. No one can escape the truth that we are changed by what we behold (see 2 Corinthians 3:18). As we worship and look to Jesus, we become more like Him. As we worship and look to the world, we will become more like the world.

Ultimately, this is the bottom line: “What would Jesus do?” What would He watch, what would He read, and what would He listen to? If He suddenly walked into your room, would you quickly change the channel, slip that novel under your pillow, or delete your browser history? Actually, He and His angels are there now, so these are very good questions to ask yourself in every situation.

A Christian is a follower of Christ, so Jesus’ example should be foremost in our minds and hearts. The only way to really find that out is to study to know Him better through your Bible. “Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus” (Philippians 2:5).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things."
Philippians 4:8

THE BIBLE TRUTH ABOUT HELL MAGAZINE
Is hell a real place … or just a metaphor? Are sinners tortured in hellfire for eternity? Is the devil in charge of it all? These questions and more are answered in this brand-new sharing magazine from Amazing Facts International.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)