[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: DID GOD REALLY GIVE NOAH PERMISSION TO EAT “EVERY MOVING THING” FOR FOOD?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed Aug 18 19:39:08 UTC 2021

DID GOD REALLY GIVE NOAH PERMISSION TO EAT “EVERY MOVING THING” FOR FOOD?
August 18, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 and a half minutes

The original diet laid down in Genesis 1:29 and 3:18 consisted of nuts, fruits, grains, and vegetables. This plan did not change until after the Flood. Then, because most vegetation had been destroyed by the Flood, God allowed the use of animal meat for the first time. God foresaw this need and instructed Noah to take into the ark clean animals by seven, while unclean animals went in by two (Genesis 7:1, 2).

Even though Genesis 9:3 seems to be an unrestricted permit to eat any kind of animal, it was not without limits. God said, “I have given you all things, even as the green herbs.” In the same way that God had given vegetation, so now He gave flesh. But obviously, all vegetation was not good to eat. There were thorny weeds and poisonous plants that could not be eaten. Likewise, God proceeded soon afterward (Leviticus 11) to reinforce for future generations that certain animals were not good for food and should never be eaten.

It’s interesting to note that this instruction was given to Noah immediately after leaving the ark. Since it takes two (both a male and a female) to propagate a species and only two of each unclean animal were saved in the ark, it is certain that God did not give license to eat the unclean animals. If He had, the unclean species would have been exterminated soon after the flood.

I just can’t picture Noah sitting down to a meal of skunks and reptiles when he clearly understood the difference between clean and unclean animals when they boarded the ark. God outlined these restrictions for the Israelites after they left Egypt to make plain what was probably understood by earlier generations. I think Genesis 9:3 is best understood as the Lord simply telling Noah, “I now give you permission to eat flesh foods.”

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things."
Genesis 9:3

THE BIBLE TRUTH ABOUT HELL MAGAZINE
Is hell a real place … or just a metaphor? Are sinners tortured in hellfire for eternity? Is the devil in charge of it all? These questions and more are answered in this brand-new sharing magazine from Amazing Facts International.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)