[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: WHY CAN’T WE JUDGE OTHERS?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Mon Aug 30 17:09:15 UTC 2021

WHY CAN’T WE JUDGE OTHERS?
August 30, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 and a half minutes

It’s very easy to be a hypocrite, to sharply or unjustly criticize others when you’re not living up to your own standards. Jesus warned, “How can you say to your brother, ‘Let me remove the speck from your eye’; and look, a plank is in your own eye? Hypocrite! First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother’s eye” (Matthew 7:4, 5). He’s saying it’s okay to take the speck out, but make sure you don’t have a log in your eye first!

The Bible commands, “He who speaks evil of a brother and judges his brother, speaks evil of the law and judges the law. … Who are you to judge another?” (James 4:11, 12). We should not judge another person’s motives because only God can read the heart. “Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart” (1 Samuel 16:7). We can try to guess someone’s motives, but we’re likely to be wrong.

While we don’t know the heart of any person, we should be able to tell whether their actions are in accordance with Scripture. We don’t know why a person is doing something, but if it’s wrong, maybe in a humble, non-offensive way, we can help and encourage that person and “restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness,” while at the same time “considering yourself lest you also be tempted” (Galatians 6:1).

Although Christians should not judge the motives of others now, the Bible tells us a day will come when we will judge the world and even angels. “Judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts” (1 Corinthians 4:5). Sometime after Jesus returns, God will show us the motives of those who are lost— both humans and angels—so that we can know that He has treated them fairly.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Do ye not know that the saints shall judge the world? and if the world shall be judged by you, are ye unworthy to judge the smallest matters?"
"Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?"
1 Corinthians 6:2-3

THE BIBLE TRUTH ABOUT HELL MAGAZINE
Is hell a real place … or just a metaphor? Are sinners tortured in hellfire for eternity? Is the devil in charge of it all? These questions and more are answered in this brand-new sharing magazine from Amazing Facts International.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)