[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: ARE SOME TYPES OF WORK PERMISSIBLE ON SABBATH, SUCH AS NURSING?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sun Jul 11 15:31:12 UTC 2021

ARE SOME TYPES OF WORK PERMISSIBLE ON SABBATH, SUCH AS NURSING?
July 11, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

The Bible records that Jesus, by His example, showed that it is righteous to relieve suffering on the Sabbath.

In one instance, Jesus was teaching in a synagogue on Sabbath and there was a crippled woman present. She had a “spirit of infirmity” and had been bent over and unable to straighten herself for 18 years. Jesus called to her and told her she was loosed from her infirmity. Then “He laid His hands on her, and immediately she was made straight, and glorified God” (Luke 13:13). The Bible records several more instances in which people were healed by Jesus on the Sabbath. Just before healing a man with a withered hand, Jesus stated, “It is lawful to do good on the Sabbath” (Matthew 12:12).

By relieving the afflicted, we bring honor to His day. However, we are not to do unnecessary work or anything that can be done another day. Because of the nature of nursing duties, some are tempted to feel justified in doing things on the Sabbath that aren’t necessary. This can become habitual, until the sense of Sabbath sacredness is lost and God’s commandments are broken.

Some people in the medical field perform services on the Sabbath so they will be free other days of the week to do their own thing. That, I believe, is consciously breaking God’s commandment. Yet there are times when we must take our turn, and emergencies can arise when we must do our healing duties on the Sabbath. Some conscientious Christians even put the money they make on those days into God’s treasury, and I believe God honors and blesses these.

Whatever your situation, God will guide you if you put your trust in Him (Proverbs 3:5, 6).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?"
"How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days."
Matthew 12:11-12

REVELATION NOW! DVD SET
Join Pastor Doug Batchelor for this epic Bible prophecy series and get clear, trustworthy, logical answers to your most pressing questions about life, prophecy, and the last days. You’ll not only receive life-changing insight into what the future will bring next, but you’ll also gain the practical tools you need to thrive in the here and now!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)