[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: GIANT ANTEATERS

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Jun 26 09:49:40 UTC 2021

GIANT ANTEATERS
June 26, 2021

Average reading time is about 6 minutes

An Amazing Fact: Giant anteaters are among the strangest animals God ever made. This largest of the anteater species lives in grasslands and open tropical forests of Central and South America. Covered with stiff, straw-like hair that grows up to 10 inches long on the tail, a full-grown creature weighs about 90 pounds and grows to be about 4 feet long (about the size of a German shepherd), and that’s not including a puffy tail that adds an additional 3 feet. Giant anteaters have large, sharp, hook-like claws on each front foot. They walk on the back of their wrists to protect them. These claws are used to dig for food and for self-defense against jaguars and pumas, their natural enemies.

Anteaters are of course insectivores, eating mostly ants and termites, but will also eat other insects as long as they don’t sting. At the end of the anteater’s very long nose is a very small mouth, barely big enough to pass a pencil, but they are great at catching insects using their 2-foot-long sticky tongue, flicking it in and out up to 160 times each minute! The tongue has backward-pointing barbs that mash the captured insects against the hard pallet. Because they are toothless, most chewing occurs in the gizzard-like stomach, aided by ingested pebbles.

Though they have terrible eyesight, the giant anteater has excellent hearing and awakens at the slightest sound. They mark their territory with a gland on their hind end. The odor is so strong that some have nicknamed them “stinker of the forest.” They have a keen sense of smell that can identify the species of ants and termites that are in the nest before they rip it open. Even though their sense of smell is 40 times more powerful than man’s, they don’t seem to be bothered by their own stink!

Some Christians seem to feel they have keen senses that can pick out sin in the lives of everyone around them. Jesus spoke to people who critically judge others when He said, “And why do you look at the speck in your brother’s eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye” (Matthew 7:3). Paul warned us, “Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself” (Philippians 2:3). Sometimes we can be so proud that we are not bothered by our own stink!

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith."
Romans 12:3

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)