[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] March 3 Through Baca's Vale; The Poor Man's Morning Portion

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Thu Mar 4 02:55:51 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io [mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of Penny Golden via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, March 3, 2021 7:04 PM
To: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
Subject: [CWWC] March 3 Through Baca's Vale; The Poor Man's Morning Portion

I'm Sorry I did not get this out sooner.

march 3

Through Baca's Vale

"For we which live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh." 2 Corinthians 4:11

What is meant by the expression, "our mortal flesh?" It does not mean the carnal mind, but our earthly tabernacle; and the expression is similar to another in this chapter, "We have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us."

It is, then, in this poor body, compassed with infirmities, that the life of Jesus is made manifest. This divine life will often spring up in fervent breathings after God, in the actings of living faith, in the sweet intercourse the people of God have with one another, in reading the Scriptures, in the application of precious promises, and under the preached word. From time to time it bubbles up like a spring from its source. Sometimes indeed it runs underground, buried as it were under the load of "our mortal flesh;" but again and again it reappears, drawn up by the Sun of righteousness. "Spring up, O well." But its risings are ever proportionate to its sinkings.

Thus in proportion as we cease to pray naturally, do we pray spiritually; as we cease to hope in the flesh, do we hope in the Lord; as we cease to believe with the head, do we believe with the heart; when we see an end of all perfection in self, then we begin to find perfection in Christ; and when we see nothing in our hearts but sin, misery, and wretchedness, then we begin to taste spiritual consolation. Thus in proportion as nature sinks, the life of Jesus rises, and is made manifest in our mortal flesh.

Is the soul, then, longing to have sweet manifestations of the life of Jesus? Where must it go to get them? What does the word of God say? "Whence cometh wisdom? and where is the place of understanding? Seeing it is hid from the eyes of all living, and kept close from the fowls of the air. Destruction and death say, 'We have heard the fame thereof with our ears" (Job 28:20-22). Till, then, we get to "destruction and death," the destruction of fleshly hopes and the death of creature religion, we do not so much as ever hear the fame of true wisdom with our ears.

Thus, when we get into darkness, then light springs up; when we get into despondency, hope arises; when we are tempted with unbelief and infidelity, faith appears. Thus those are the wisest in whom creature wisdom has most ceased; those are the strongest who have learned most experimentally their own weakness; those are the holiest who have known most of their own filthiness; those are the most religious in a true sense who have least religion of their own. So that just in proportion as we are delivered unto death, and execution takes place on what the creature loves, so does the life of Jesus begin to rise and make itself blessedly manifest.

J.C. Philpot (1802 – 1869)

The Poor Man's Morning Portion

"That ye may be able to comprehend with all saints, what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; and to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge." Ephesians 3:18, 19

Did Paul pray that the church might be thus blessed? So should all faithful pastors. And there is enough in Jesus to call up the everlasting contemplation of his people. All the dimensions of divine glory are in Jesus. Who, indeed, shall describe the extent of that love which passeth knowledge? But, my soul, pause over the account. What is the breadth of it? Jesus's death reaches in efficacy to all his seed—all his children: to thee, my soul; for thou art the seed of Jesus. And though that death took place at Jerusalem near two thousand years since, yet the efficacy of his blood, as from an high altar, as effectually washes away sin now, as in the moment it was shed.

Remember, Jesus still wears the vesture dipped in blood. Remember, Jesus still appears as the Lamb slain before God. Indeed, indeed, Jesus was the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world. So that, in breadth, it is broader than the sea, taking in all the seed of Jesus, through all ages, all dispensations, all the various orders of his people. Neither is the length of it less proportioned. Who shall circumscribe the Father's love, which is from everlasting to everlasting? Who shall limit Jesus's grace? Is he not made of God, wisdom, righteousness, sanctification, and redemption? Is he not all this, in every office, every character, every relation? "Jesus Christ; the same yesterday, and to-day, and for ever!" And what is the depth of this love, but reaching down to hell, to lift up our poor fallen nature. And what is the height, but Jesus in our nature, exalted far above all principalities, and powers, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come!

Precious God of my salvation! Oh, give me to see, to know, to entertain, and cherish, more enlarged views of this love; which hath no bottom, no bounds, no shore; but, like its Almighty Author, is from everlasting to everlasting. Shall I ever despond? Shall I ever doubt any more, when this Jesus looks upon me, loves me, washes me in his blood, feeds me, clothes me, and hath promised to bring me to glory? Oh, for faith "to comprehend, with all saints, this love of God with the awakened cry of the soul, "Lord, save, or I perish!" These are among the first and most striking testimonies of an effectual and saving call by grace.

And therefore the diligence the apostle so strongly and affectionately recommends, is to look into thy evidences daily, and habitually to live in the enjoyment of them: so that from long and increasing acquaintance with them, all the great and glorious objects connected with our future and eternal state, may be made familiar to the soul. Stedfastly looking to the Lord Jesus by faith, and living by faith upon him, we may be daily growing up to him in all things: so that when life comes to be closed, and faith swallowed up in enjoyment, like a rich and deeply laden vessel in full sail, we may then have "an abundant entrance ministered unto us, into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ."

  Robert Hawker (1753-1827)

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7069) <https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/7069>  | Reply To Group <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20March%203%20Through%20Baca%27s%20Vale%3B%20The%20Poor%20Man%27s%20Morning%20Portion>  | Reply To Sender <mailto:pengold2 at gmail.com?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20March%203%20Through%20Baca%27s%20Vale%3B%20The%20Poor%20Man%27s%20Morning%20Portion>  | Mute This Topic <https://groups.io/mt/81066232/21951>  | New Topic <https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io

  _____

_._,_._,_