[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Powerful Short Daily Prayers to Conquer Today

Carolyn Peters dr.carolyn.peters at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 07:12:08 UTC 2021

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/conquer-today-and-every-day-with-these-short-daily-prayers.html?utm_source=email&utm_medium=inhouse&utm_campaign=multicpl&utm_content=dailyprayers

Conquer Today – and Every Day – with These 7 Short Daily Prayers
Sometimes we come to God in anguish. Other times, we might send up a shout-out of praise for an unexpected blessing. In today’s hectic world, prayer can unintentionally get relegated to a request or reaction, rather than a lifestyle of “resting assured.” The good news is, committing to just a handful of short prayers to get you through your day can continually renew your faith.

So, what if you decided today to make prayer more constant than your worry? Or as habitual as your meals, workout, or sleep? Or as comfortable as your coffee, tea, or couch?

God faithfully sends the sun (and all new mercies) every morning. Praying as you rise, throughout your day, and as part of your bedtime routine centers your faith around this truth: that the maker of all creation desires to live with you—and within you.

He comes close to you in prayer, to calm, equip, and carry you.

I’m not suggesting you spend every day in your prayer closet, or even on your knees. In fact, I bristle at the notion that prayer is a formula or physical posture. Yes, Jesus gives us the gift of a prayer structure with jaw-dropping simplicity in Luke 11:2-4. But listen closely, friends, as Jesus continues.

In Luke 11:9, he invites you to ask, seek, and knock. Prayer does this for and through you, all day long.

I want to encourage you that prayer has the power to drastically change your life for the better. So, don’t hold back. There’s no perfect prayer, just a perfect God, who wants you to invite him to be your provision, strength, and hope.

Here are seven short suggested prayers to get you through your day:

1. A Good Morning God Prayer, as You Wake

“The Lord is my shepherd, I have all that I need” (Psalm 23:1).

Good morning, God. Thank you that you show me how faithful you truly are, by turning the earth and lighting our way, day after day. Help me to stop rising with “Good God, it’s morning already,” but rather, “Good morning to a glorious new day.”

I might not always wake with energy, and sometimes I’m empty of hope, but I have every morning to remind me that you are more powerful than my calendar. More precious than my lists. More valuable than any possession.

Whatever the weather today, and whether or not I can even see the sun shining, help me to rise in love with you. Today, I notice the miracle of another sunrise without fail. Because you made this day—I will rejoice and be glad in it. Amen.

Photo credit:©Getty Images/Motortion.jpg

2. A Prayer to Cleanse Me, Lord

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:9).

Lord, I’m so lucky to have clean, running water. Even better, you are my living water. As I shower or bathe today, or while I’m getting ready, will you cleanse my heart, soul, and mind?

Whatever I’ve done to hurt anyone, however I’ve propped up idols in place of you, forgive me. Knock down my idols and reveal the places where I need your healing. Prompt me to make amends or let go of hurts.

Cleanse me of all the emotions that block my relationship with you and others. Refresh my spirit and open my eyes to your will today. In your mighty name, Amen.

3. A Prayer for God’s Provision Today

“And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that having all sufficiency in all things at all times, you may abound in every good work” (2 Cor. 9:8).

God, I know that whatever I touch, do, buy, create, eat, or in any way experience today is provided by your grace. Thank you for my daily bread. You are more than enough.

Today I’m thankful for shelter, family, friends, work, food, health—even my current struggles—as divine opportunities. Help me choose well in my work, finances, family, and friendships today. Prompt me to be a good steward of what you give, and to share your provision with others.

Please hear my unspoken prayers and reveal yourself as my provider in ways that you know I will see. Help me to express appreciation so that I may inspire others along the way. Amen.

4. A Prayer to Renew My Strength throughout the Day

“...but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles...” (Isaiah 40:31).

Father, you know the moments in my day when my energy fades. Right now is one of those times. I feel stressed, overwhelmed, tired. I wanted to get “so much done” today and it already feels like so little. Will you be my strength?

As I switch gears mid-task to move in ways that energize me, or breathe deeply, I throw open my soul for you to move throughout every part of my being.

I surrender my fatigue to you and believe your power is great even now in my weakness. Pick me up, Lord, and empower me to do or reorganize what you see before me. In Jesus’ name, amen.

Photo credit:©Getty Images/imtmphoto

5. A Prayer of Gratitude as Evening Settles

“Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls” (Matthew 11:28).

Thank you, God, for evening. What a mind-blowing miracle that you direct the sun and the moon in your perfect timing. Thank you that you don’t expect me to produce round-the-clock, and that your yoke is easy. Thank you for establishing rhythms.

As you drape my small spot of the world in a blanket of darkness and stars, I’m willing to unwind, knowing that you do not need me to impress you. And that you desire for me to be kind to myself.

Thank you for the freedom to create, cook, or go enjoy something refreshing for my soul now. Amen.

6. A Prayer of Preparation for Tomorrow

“Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life” (Psalm 54:4).

God, I’m so thrilled that whatever we plan together, you will work out for good, even if my efforts fail. Tell me now what things to get ready so that tomorrow will go as smoothly as possible.

Clear my head to organize my to-do list, or gather any supplies I might need so that I feel prepared to serve, and ready to rest. Guide me as I choose what’s needed, and thank you for equipping me for each day you give. In Jesus’ name, amen.

7. A Prayer for Peaceful Sleep

“In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, LORD, make me dwell in safety” (Psalm 4:8).

Dear Lord, thank you for watching over me all day, all evening, and even while I sleep. All week long, and all my life long, you are my refuge. What a blessing that I can give this entire day to you, and you will see me through it and every day thereafter.

I’m grateful for even the smallest things I noticed today that were signs of your great goodness, faithfulness, and mercy.

Quiet my anxious thoughts, still my soul. I trust you to make me dwell in safety, as surely as the sun will rise again. In Jesus’ name, Amen.

A Good Starting Point

Prayer is your lifeline through every up or down, always available for you to cultivate relationship with God. There are so many wonderful reasons to pray, all throughout your day: in times of celebration, sorrow, exertion, relaxation, even as you’re falling asleep.

Your prayers will be very personal, between you and God. Use these suggested prayers as a starting point. I hope they encourage you to invite God into every moment of your days in your own heartfelt way.

Photo credit: ©Getty Images/Tinnakorn Jorruang

Lia Martin loves to inspire others to lean into the Lord daily. She's a writer, editor, marketer, former Crosswalk.com Faith Editor, and author of Wisdom at Wit's End: Abandoning Supermom Myths in Search of Supernatural Peace. When she's not cultivating words, she loves walking in nature, reading, exploring the latest health trends, and laughing with her two wonderful kids. She blogs at liamartinwriting.com.

This article is part of our prayer resource meant to inspire and encourage your prayer life when you face uncertain times. Remember, the Holy Spirit intercedes for us and God knows your heart even if you can't find the words to pray.

Prayers from the Bible to Guide Your Prayer Time
Types of Prayers We See in the Bible
What Is the Prayer of Jabez in the Bible?
How to Pray for Your Daily Bread
Prayers for Anxiousness

Related: Listen to our podcast, Teach Us to Pray with Christina Patterson. You can find all the episodes at LifeAudio.com. Here's Episode 1:

Sent from my iPhone greetings Ohio communities of faith, prayers that may be of interest to you. Cheerfully, have a blessed day