[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotional

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Mon Mar 22 19:08:23 UTC 2021

DID JEPHTHAH PUT HIS DAUGHTER ON AN ALTAR AND KILL HER?
March 22, 2021

Average reading time is about 4 and a half minutes

When Jephthah’s daughter was the first to greet him, he said, “Alas, my daughter! You have brought me very low! … For I have given my word to the Lord, and I cannot go back on it” (verse 35). She answered, “My father, if you have given your word to the Lord, do to me according to what has gone out of your mouth” (v. 36).

The chapter goes on to say that he “carried out his vow with her which he had vowed. She knew no man” (v. 39, emphasis supplied). Now notice her response, “Let this thing be done for me: let me alone for two months, that I may go and wander on the mountains and bewail my virginity” (v. 37, emphasis supplied). She is not crying over her impending death, but over her not being able to marry and have children.

I believe that what Jephthah did to fulfill his vow was similar to what Hannah did with Samuel (see 1 Samuel 1:27, 28). He brought his daughter to the sanctuary, and she was consecrated to the service of the Lord, which apparently meant she was to remain celibate.

There are several biblical reasons why I believe Jephthah did not kill his daughter, but consecrated her instead. First, human sacrifices were an abomination (Leviticus 18:21). Second, Jephthah had it in his power to redeem his daughter (Leviticus 27:2). Finally, the Bible says she bewailed her virginity and that Israelite women went yearly to comfort her (Judges 11:38–40). Where did they go? They went to the temple, because her life was consecrated to the Lord.

This corresponds with Anna mentioned in the New Testament, “who did not depart from the temple, but served God with fastings and prayers night and day” (Luke 2:37).

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,"
Judges 11:30

FINDING PEACE IN A WORLD OF WORRY
Pastor Doug Batchelor’s winsome but practical new book is packed with useful solutions not only to liberate those drowning in stress, but also to prevent stress from building up in the first place. Best of all, these principles come directly from the Word of God!

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)