[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotional

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sun Mar 28 12:35:44 UTC 2021

ARE THERE ANY BIBLE VERSES THAT SAY JOSEPH WAS PREVIOUSLY MARRIED OR HAD CHILDREN BEFORE HE MARRIED MARY?
March 28, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

No Scripture says that Joseph had children before Mary, but we can come to that conclusion through some simple detective work. For instance, the Bible tells us in several places that Jesus had brothers and sisters. When Jesus was dying on the cross, He committed the care of His mother to the apostle John (John 19:25–27). That would have been a very unusual act if the other children had been her offspring. She would have automatically been under their care if that were the case.

Furthermore, during the time of Jesus, it was the duty of the oldest son in a family to stay home and work with the father to eventually take over his business. If Jesus had been the eldest, it would have been an insult to leave Joseph in the carpenter shop and go off preaching. But because Jesus was one of the younger sons, it wasn’t a problem.

When we put these things together, it makes sense that Jesus was not Joseph’s first son. You typically hear about Mary and Joseph and Jesus’ brothers and sisters. However, it seems Joseph had died by the time Christ began His ministry, so scholars conclude that he was older than Mary and had already had a family before marrying her. His first wife had evidently passed away, and Joseph himself is never mentioned as being alive when Christ began His ministry.

A lot of this comes from simple deduction. Joseph died from old age and/or hard work by the time Jesus began His ministry. The older brothers of Christ continued working in the carpenter shop in Nazareth, and Jesus was Mary’s only biological son as far as we can tell.

What is most important is that we know and believe that Jesus was the Son of God. Our passage today suggests the people in His hometown of Nazareth rejected Him. Will you receive Him?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Is not this the carpenter, the son of Mary, the brother of James, and Joses, and of Juda, and Simon? and are not his sisters here with us? And they were offended at him."
Mark 6:3

AMERICA IN BIBLE PROPHECY MAGAZINE
Does the Bible speak about events transpiring in our world? What does Revelation tell us about the key players in the final events? Is it possible that the United States will no longer be a sweet land of liberty?This beautifully designed magazine provides a clear and balanced overview of Revelation 13 and 14 to help your community understand what the Bible says about the final superpowers on Earth.

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)