[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] Thru Baca's Vale; The Poor Man's Morning Portion; May 2

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Sun May 2 18:35:43 UTC 2021

-----Original Message-----
From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io [mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of Penny Golden via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 2, 2021 6:02 AM
To: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] Thru Baca's Vale; The Poor Man's Morning Portion; May 2

May 2

Thru Baca's Vale

"Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation." Matthew 26:41 1

The entering into temptation is a different thing from temptation
itself. "Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation." A
temptation presents itself, draws near to us, or we draw near to it. If
conscience sound an alarm, and we keep, so to speak, to the windward of
temptation, we are for the present safe. Temptation is a lee shore on
which the wind fiercely blows; it is a coast strewed with a thousand
wrecks, and with the bleached bones of innumerable drowned mariners.
Keep the ship's head to windward, and she may weather the point; neglect
sail and helm, and she will go ashore.

David and Joseph were exposed to a similar temptation. David entered
into it, and fell; Joseph was kept from entering into it, and stood. In
the country you often see a footpath across a field; if we keep in it we
are safe. But we may be tempted by various objects to diverge a little,
to gather a flower, or saunter upon the banks of the river, or make a
short cut across the fields. Whilst we are in the footpath, temptation
may be very near, but we have not yet entered into it; we are upon the
borders of it, but we have not yet entered into its territory.

Few, if any, enter into temptation without falling by it. The fly hovers
round the spider's web; to touch it is to enter into it. The bird flies
around the fowler's snare; to peck at the bait is to enter the trap. The
moth flutters round the candle; to enter the flame is to burn its wings.
The Lord's words were not, "watch and pray against temptation," but
"that ye enter not into temptation." Few come out of temptation as they
entered into it.

How clearly James has described the difference between enduring
temptation and falling by temptation. He does not say, "Blessed is the
man who is free from temptation," but "who endureth temptation." Blessed
is the man who is kept in the footpath, who sees temptation on every
side, but endures it, is not drawn out of the path by it, for "when he
is tried, he shall receive a crown of life." He has fought the good
fight, won the battle, and shall receive the crown.

But he adds, "Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God."
He must not say that the Lord presents temptation to him, and is
therefore chargeable with it if he falls. "No," says James, "let that
thought be abhorred. God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth
he any man. But every man is tempted when he is drawn away of his own
lust and enticed." There is no sin in temptation, for the Lord Jesus was
"tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin." Nor in lust is
there practical, though there is speculative sin. It is when the two
meet and embrace, and the will consents to the union, silencing the
voice of God and conscience, that sin is produced. And thirdly, follows
the fearful and fatal fruit, "Sin, when it is finished, bringeth forth
death;" that is, as I understand it, death in the conscience, guilt,
condemnation, and misery, and the deadening of all the fruits and graces
of the blessed Spirit.
J.C. Philpot (1802 – 1869)

May 2

The Poor Man's Morning Portion

"And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man?
And she said, I will go." Genesis 24:58
See, my soul, with what readiness Rebekah determined to accompany the
servant of Abraham to Isaac. And wilt thou not arise and go forth at the
invitation of the servants of Jesus, who sends them to call thee to his
arms? Hath he not, by the sweet constraining influences of his Holy
Spirit, as well as by the outward ministry of his blessed word, made
thee willing in the day of his power? Did the servant of Abraham give an
earnest of his master's affection in putting the bracelets upon
Rebekah's hands, and the ear-rings, and the gold?
But what was this to the love-tokens which Jesus himself hath given
thee, when he set thee as a seal upon his heart, and as a seal upon his
arm, and when all the waters of divine wrath his holy soul had poured
upon him for thy sins, and all the floods of corruption, which like a
deluge, had overspread thy whole nature, could not quench his love, nor
drown it.
And if it be demanded, then, from thine own mouth this day, "Wilt thou
go with this man," this Godman, this Glory-man, this Jesus? Wilt thou
not instantly cry out, "I wilt go?" Yes! thou altogether lovely Lord,
thou chiefest and fairest among ten thousand, I will go with thee. I
would forget mine own people and my father's house. For my father's
house is an house of bondage. I was born in sin, and shapen in iniquity.
A child of wrath, even as others, and by nature dead in trespasses and
sins. It is thou, blessed Jesus, who hast delivered me from the wrath to
come. It is thou who hast quickened me by thy Holy Spirit to a new and
spiritual life. It is thou who hast sent thy servants to call me to
thyself, and hast betrothed me to thyself for ever. And is there any
that yet asketh me, "wilt thou go with this man? My whole soul would
outrun the question, and, like the apostle, I would answer, "to whom
else shall I go?"
Witness for me, ye servants of my Lord; ye angels, and ministers of
light. I have none in heaven, neither in earth, but him. Yes, thou
dearest Redeemer! I will go with thee, follow thee, live with thee, hang
upon thee, die with thee, nor even death itself shall part thee and me.
Oh let those precious words of thine, concerning thy church, be sweetly,
felt in my soul. "I will say, it is my people: "and my whole soul will
make her responses to the gracious sound, and say," the Lord is my God."
   Robert Hawker (1753-1827)

View/Reply Online (#7691): https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/7691
-=-=-
Questions, concerns, suggestions?  Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io
-=-=-
Group Owner: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io