[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD

Michael Moore mmoore11 at kent.edu
Sun May 23 21:42:40 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
[mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io] On Behalf Of Mr. Ed via
groups.io
Sent: Sunday, May 23, 2021 9:53 AM
To: Mr. Ed
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD

OVERCOME EVIL WITH GOOD

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/23932930.976/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnYX
Rld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9Um9tLjEyLjIx/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174Ba1f6
cbdd> Romans 12:21

Colleague Ron Boyd-MacMillan shares part two of his experience in China:

The Chinese house church pastor put it this way, "Confront the defining evil
in your area or your society-that will bring persecution. For us, the evil
is obvious; for you, it may be more subtle." You won't necessarily be
persecuted if you speak out against evil. You won't necessarily be
persecuted if you write an article about the evil. You won't necessarily be
persecuted if you organize a prayer meeting to pray against it. But you will
be persecuted if you become a threat to the evil.

One pastor went back to his church in an inner city area of London. He asked
the question, what's the defining evil of this area? He became convicted
that the youth gangs were the defining evil in the area, especially as they
were going on killing sprees and starting to become drug pushers.

He began prayer meetings, and outreaches to the gangs. He even became a
chaplain to a particularly violent gang. After a while, he saw fruit, but he
also got a visit from a local gun runner,

"Leave the kids alone, or else" he said, "You're bad for business."

One night, six months later, a bullet came through the window as the church
baptized five converted gang leaders. The reaction of the pastor could have
come from the mouth of the Chinese house church leader. He said, "It was a
beautiful bullet.because now we knew we were making a difference."

That pastor had joined the persecuted church, and led his congregation into
a greater awareness of the worldwide persecuted church. They wanted to know
about their brothers and sisters in Eritrea, China, North Korea and Iran not
just because the Christians there needed their prayers and their money, but
because they were one in the same battle. Christians in the West need the
insights and prayers of suffering Christians around the world to fight their
own battles better.

The other pastor returned to his church in a very upscale, business
district. After praying with his elders, they came up with the defining evil
or idol of the area, which they called "The Lie-get rich; be free." This was
the besetting idol, they felt, and began to model a downsizing lifestyle in
the community that reversed consumerist expectations.

The pastor confesses, "I'm facing almost weekly votes of confidence from my
elders because they don't think I am teaching people enough about how to be
successful." But he also says, "I feel so much better, because I'm not such
a hypocrite in the pulpit anymore."

RESPONSE: Today I will respond to the defining evil around me and overcome
it with good.

PRAYER: Lord, I need Your power and strength to effectively overcome the
evil I experience. Help me stand strong in my opposition to the evil one.

Provided by Bible Gateway:

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#7908)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/7908>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20OVER
COME%20EVIL%20WITH%20GOOD>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:pinky14 at abe.midco.net?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20OVERCOME
%20EVIL%20WITH%20GOOD>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/83028264/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.