[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Thank Butterfly Affect by Max Lucado

Maggie Stringer ravensfan784 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 13:57:08 UTC 2021

Do you know the theory of the butterfly effect? It goes something like
this: a butterfly in West Africa flaps its wings, and, at just the right
time, it stirs the smallest of air gusts. The burst of air grows, rippling
around the globe until it results in a hurricane in…let’s say Florida. I’m
on board with the butterfly part. It’s not the result I question, it’s the
randomness. Who finds consolation in a philosophy of happenstance? But I do
find great comfort in promises like Ephesians 1:11: “We were chosen from
the beginning to be his [God’s], and all things happen just as he decided
long ago.” The butterfly might stir, but only with the permission of God
can a wing flap create a hurricane.