[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] FW: [CWWC] PERSECUTION AND CHURCH GROWTH

mmoore11 at kent.edu mmoore11 at kent.edu
Mon Nov 29 02:38:55 UTC 2021

From: committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io
<committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io> On Behalf Of Mr. Ed via groups.io
Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2021 9:36
To: Mr. Ed <pinky14 at abe.midco.net>
Subject: EXT: [CWWC] PERSECUTION AND CHURCH GROWTH

PERSECUTION AND CHURCH GROWTH

On that day a great persecution broke out against the church in Jerusalem,
and all except the apostles were scattered throughout Judea and Samaria.
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/25854975.815/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnYX
Rld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9QWN0cy44LjE/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174B236b5
482> Acts 8:1b

Pastor Samuel Lamb from southern China celebrated his 87th birthday in
October, 2011. A quarter of his life was spent imprisoned for his faith. He
still preaches several times on Sunday in his large house church and most
week nights in Bible studies. His brilliant smile shines from a slight body
suffering chronic disability resulting from 15 years confinement in a coal
mine. "God gives me the strength I need," he says. He has never left China,
fearing that if he traveled, the authorities would not let him return.

Lamb credits God for the faith to accept what has happened in his life. It
has deepened his ministry. Lamb believes that sometimes God is more
glorified through sickness and poverty than through health and wealth.
Christians travel thousands of miles to discuss house church ministry with
Pastor Lamb and visitors from around the world seek out his house church in
Guangzhou, China, which gathers 3,000 members each week.

Pastor Lamb often refers to persecution and growth as intertwined. He is
known for his quote, "Remember the lesson of the Chinese church: more
persecution, more growth." As the pastor explains, "Before I was put into
prison in 1955, this church's membership was 400; when I came out in 1978,
it built up to 900 in a matter of weeks. Then after 1990, when everything
was confiscated here and the church briefly closed, we re-opened and in a
matter of weeks we had 2,000 members. More persecution, more growth-that's
the history of the Chinese church, that's the history of this church."

Though the two are related, persecution in other parts of the world has not
necessarily always brought church growth. North Africa is an example.

But the Bible, especially in the book of Acts, is clear that church growth
will likely bring persecution. Each time the gospel made advances in Acts,
persecution would break out. And in
<https://link.biblegateway.com/click/25854975.815/aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmlibGVnYX
Rld2F5LmNvbS9wYXNzYWdlLz9zZWFyY2g9QWN0cy44LjQ/5ef562bd10222374f46b6174Cb22e9
f13> Acts 8:4, the persecuted and scattered believers went everywhere
preaching the word.

RESPONSE: Today I will accept the principle that sometimes God is more
glorified through sickness and poverty than through health and wealth.

PRAYER: Thank You Lord that You use all situations to grow Your church. Help
me to be an active and eager participant.

Provided by Bible Gateway:

_._,_._,_

  _____

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#9217)
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/message/9217>  | Reply To
Group
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ at groups.io?subject=Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20PERS
ECUTION%20AND%20CHURCH%20GROWTH>  | Reply To Sender
<mailto:pinky14 at abe.midco.net?subject=Private:%20Re:%20%5BCWWC%5D%20PERSECUT
ION%20AND%20CHURCH%20GROWTH>  | Mute This Topic
<https://groups.io/mt/87356053/21951>  | New Topic
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/post>

  _____

Questions, concerns, suggestions? Contact us
Group owner
Email: committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io
<mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>

  _____

Your Subscription
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/editsub/21951>  | Contact
Group Owner <mailto:committed-walk-with-Christ+owner at groups.io>  |
Unsubscribe
<https://groups.io/g/committed-walk-with-Christ/leave/9118772/21951/54263907
8/xyzzy>  [mmoore11 at kent.edu]

_._,_._,_

CAUTION: EXTERNAL SENDER Do not click any links, open any attachments, or
REPLY to the message unless you trust the sender and know the content is
safe.

https://www.avg.com