[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] AmazingFacts devotion: WHO IS MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL? PART 1

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed Oct 6 17:18:41 UTC 2021

WHO IS MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL? PART 1
October 06, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

Questions frequently arise in Christian circles about the identity of the mysterious biblical character known as Michael, sometimes called “Michael the archangel” and “Michael the Great Prince.” Some claim that Michael is the highest of the heavenly angels, a covering cherub, or a special messenger like Gabriel. And therefore, he is a created being.

Others, such as Bible commentator Matthew Henry, assert that Michael is simply another of the many names for Jesus. Can we know the real identity of this mysterious being? Obviously, the key to deciphering this puzzle is found in Scripture (see Isaiah 28:10).

A quick look in a Bible concordance reveals that there are 15 references to the name Michael in Scripture. Ten of these are simply people named Michael. In fact, the entry for “Michael” in the lexicon of a Greek and/or Hebrew dictionary states, “The name of an archangel and nine Israelites.” It is the identity of Michael, the archangel and prince, mentioned in the last five references that we seek here.

The first three of these references to Michael are in the Old Testament book of Daniel. The last two are mentioned in the New Testament books of Jude and Revelation. With an honest study and comparison of these and other verses, clues quickly emerge that lead us to the inescapable conclusion of Michael’s true identity: He is none other than Jesus. He is not a created angel or cherub, but this name is another of the many grand titles for God’s eternal Son!

At first glance, the Old Testament appears to portray this Michael as a prince, and the New Testament describes Him as an archangel. But by looking at other related Scriptures where similar language and wording are used, we will see an interesting pattern emerge …

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And at that time shall Michael stand up, the great prince which standeth for the children of thy people: and there shall be a time of trouble, such as never was since there was a nation even to that same time: and at that time thy people shall be delivered, every one that shall be found written in the book."
Daniel 12:1

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)