[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] AmazingFacts devotion: WHO IS MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL? PART 4

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Oct 9 16:55:52 UTC 2021

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

WHO IS MICHAEL THE ARCHANGEL? PART 4
October 09, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

If we isolate and examine the word “archangel,” we see another interesting match. The only other passage in the Bible that uses the word “archangel” is 1 Thessalonians 4:16. Note its context: “The Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first.” It is the voice of the archangel that raises the dead in Christ, and the Lord Himself who shouts it. This indicates that they are one and the same. Jesus is the one who shouts with the voice of the archangel, or “greatest messenger,” to raise the dead!

Obviously, angels don’t have the power to resurrect the dead. Only God has the power to give life (see John 5:26).

In Jude, we see the archangel contending with the devil for the body of Moses, who was resurrected and taken to heaven; later, he appeared on the mount of transfiguration to encourage Christ (Mark 9). In 1 Thessalonians, the apostle Paul describes the resurrection as happening in response to the voice of the archangel. Again, we see the parallel between these two verses; both describe the archangel in the act of resurrecting.

In conclusion, we see this majestic and mysterious being—sometimes called Michael, sometimes the angel of the Lord, sometimes the commander of the Lord’s army—veiling His divinity and appearing in the form of an angel. Yet this same enigmatic being has the power, authority, and attributes that belong only to God. He evicts the devil from heaven; He resurrects the dead; He intercedes for the saints; He judges and then stands, launching the time of trouble. He redeems the saints and receives their worship.

Now you might know who Michael is, but the devil knows too, and it won’t save him. The big question is: Do you know Him as Jesus, your Lord and savior?

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And there was war in heaven: Michael and his angels fought against the dragon; and the dragon fought and his angels,"
Revelation 12:7

Did you enjoy this devotional? Request today's free offer:
Who is Michael the Archangel? - Paperback or Digital Download

He’s one of the most controversial figures in the Bible—Michael the Archangel. Who is this powerful being? Is he meant to be worshiped? What clues are found in his name, rank, and title?
Request Today's Free Offer

Update Email Preferences
Copyright © 2021 Amazing Facts International

Our mailing address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678.

This email was sent to shellsebel at gmail.com.