[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT THE BODY AND SOUL ARE SEPARATE ENTITIES?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Wed Oct 20 14:50:19 UTC 2021

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

DOES THE BIBLE TEACH THAT THE BODY AND SOUL ARE SEPARATE ENTITIES?
October 17, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

The first thing we should notice in this text is that the “soul” and “body” are “destroyed” in hell. This means the soul is not naturally immortal. Only God is naturally eternal (1 Timothy 6:15, 16). But what does Jesus mean about killing the body but not the soul? Is it possible for the soul to exist apart from the body? Some say it is, but the Bible indicates otherwise.

The Greek word psuche has been translated as “soul” in this text, but in many other texts, it has been translated as “life.” For example, Jesus said, “Whosoever will lose his life (psuche) for my sake shall find it” (Matthew 16:25). The idea of an immaterial soul that is separate from the body is a common belief among many today, but you won’t find it in the Bible.

But what about Matthew 10:28? Put in the word “life” instead of “soul” and the text makes perfect sense and is consistent with the rest of the Bible. The contrast is between one who can take the physical life and Him who can take away eternal life. Proof lies in the words of Jesus: “And I say to you, My friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body, and after that have no more that they can do. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear Him who, after He has killed, has power to cast into hell; yes, I say to you, fear Him!” (Luke 12:4, 5).

In other words, the word “soul” here means not only life, but eternal life. Notice how Luke’s passage parallels Matthew’s except that he does not say “kill the soul,” but “cast into hell.” They mean the same thing. Men can only kill the body and take away the physical life. But God has the power to cast into hell and take away eternal life.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell."
Matthew 10:28

Update Email Preferences
Copyright © 2021 Amazing Facts International

Our mailing address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678.

This email was sent to shellsebel at gmail.com.