[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] AREN’T HEALTH LAWS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT ONLY INTENDED FOR THE JEWS?

Shelly Duffy shellsebel at icloud.com
Sat Oct 23 12:02:24 UTC 2021

Click here to view this message in a browser window.

AREN’T HEALTH LAWS IN THE OLD TESTAMENT ONLY INTENDED FOR THE JEWS?
October 23, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

God’s health laws are actually found all over the Bible. In the New Testament, we read, “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers” (3 John 2). The Scriptures show a high priority in caring for our health. God gave us these guidelines because He knows what is best for the human body. “The Lord commanded us to observe all these statutes, to fear the Lord our God, for our good always, that He might preserve us alive” (Deuteronomy 6:24).

Jesus’ death on the cross redeems us from sin, but it did not change what is deemed healthy or unhealthy. If pork is listed as something unhealthy before Christ died, it doesn’t really make sense that Calvary suddenly makes eating swine’s flesh healthy. Actually, the notion of “clean” and “unclean” animals goes all the way back to Genesis, long before there were any Jews. Noah was given instructions about clean and unclean animals (see Genesis 7:2); he wasn’t a Jew.

We wrongly assume that our walk with God is somehow a spiritual-only exercise that has nothing to do with our lifestyle. But as our text points out, the Lord is interested even in what we eat and drink. God doesn’t create meaningless rules to make our lives miserable. He loves us. “No good thing will He withhold from those who walk uprightly” (Psalm 84:11).

Modern science confirms that the guidelines in Leviticus 11 and Deuteronomy 14 provide a diet that lowers the chance of disease. If we eat meat, we are taught to eat only those animals that have a split hoof and chew the cud, and fish that have both fins and scales, and to avoid birds of prey. A Christian will guard his appetite and not consume things like hogs, squirrels, rabbits, catfish, eels, lobsters, clams, crabs, shrimp, oysters, and frogs.

The apostle Paul reminds Christians: “Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?” (1 Corinthians 3:16). It’s still good advice.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."
1 Corinthians 10:31

Update Email Preferences
Copyright © 2021 Amazing Facts International

Our mailing address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678.

This email was sent to shellsebel at gmail.com.