[Ohio-Communities-of-Faith] Amazing facts devotion: WHY DIDN’T ADAM AND EVE DIE THE VERY DAY THEY SINNED?

Shelley Duffy shellsebel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 14:21:41 UTC 2021

WHY DIDN’T ADAM AND EVE DIE THE VERY DAY THEY SINNED?
September 20, 2021

Average reading time is about 5 minutes

First, Adam and Eve did experience a spiritual death the very day they disobeyed God—they became aware of their nakedness. They also began to experience the slow physical breakdown from the aging process.

The Bible actually speaks of two separate deaths. The first death is the one we will all die if Jesus doesn’t come in our lifetime. “It is appointed for men to die once, but after this the judgment” (Hebrews 9:27). In the second death, the wicked will die in hellfire at the end of time (see Revelation 21:8). It’s important to understand that Jesus died the “second death” for every person.

When Adam and Eve sinned, they instantly would have died the second death except for the fact that Jesus stepped forward and offered to die on Calvary for every person. His supreme sacrifice spared them. “We see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels, for the suffering of death crowned with glory and honor, that He, by the grace of God, might taste death for everyone” (Hebrews 2:9).

When Adam sinned, his “undying” nature became a “dying” nature. Regarding the first death, the literal rendering of the word “die” in Genesis 2:17 is “dying you will die,” which is noted in the margins of most Bibles. It means that Adam and Eve would enter into the process of dying. Before sinning, the couple possessed a sinless nature; this nature was maintained by eating from the tree of life. At the moment of sin, their natures changed to dying, sinful natures. This is what God had told them would happen. Because they were barred from the tree of life, decay and deterioration, leading finally to death, began immediately. The grave became a certainty.

KEY BIBLE TEXTS
"And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:"
"But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die."
Genesis 2:16-17

MORE FROM AMAZING FACTS

24/7 Christian Television

Free Book Library

Verse of the Day

WAS THIS EMAIL FORWARDED TO YOU?
Click HERE to get your own free subscription!

FOLLOW US:

Copyright © 2018 Amazing Facts
Our address is PO Box 1058, Roseville, CA 95678

If you do not wish to receive future email, click here.
(You can also send your request to Customer Care at the street address above.)