[Ohio-talk] Fw: College Textbook Affordability Acts

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Thu Feb 19 20:38:42 UTC 2009

Hi Robby,
We know it's 2009.  We also know how frustrating it is when
people do not do what they are supposed to do.
We need to push for all books and materials to be accessible in
the best formats for each individual student.  We also need to
get the best grades we can and show that we know how to adjust to
a situation when necessary.  What do you think an employer would
say if you said I got a D because my material wasn't accessible
to me independently? Would the employer be reluctant to hire you?
What are your goals? If you want to push this and forget about
your grade you can do that.  If you want to get a good grade and
still push for accessible materials you can do that.  I can
imagine that the book might not scan very well.
I seem to recall that you don't use Braille.  If I'm wrong, I'm
sorry.  If you do use Braille or can use something on Bookshare
to help with spell that might help.
Personally, I would love it if every book was accessible.
Consider what your personal goals are.  We have come a long way
in the area of accessible for college students.  I realize this
doesn't help you but we have really made progress since this
legislation took effect.  We are not minimizing your frustration
or yd desire to be independent.  We are not poo-pooing what you
are saying.
We are telling you, however, that you can get through this course
in another way if you need to.
Good luck getting the book and making wise decisions about your
class.
Colleen Roth