[Ohio-talk] Starting and Maintaining A Tandem Cycling Program?

Everett Gavel e.gavel at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 10 18:27:50 UTC 2009

Hello All,

A handful of years ago, I looked into starting a tandem cycling program here
in my region of Northeast
Ohio (The Greater Akron area).  Unfortunately, I let life get in the way,
and let myself get sidetracked and discouraged.  I have since lost all
of the tandeming info I gathered plus tons of other stuff in a computer
crash awhile back.  Thus I find myself currently rebuilding my resource list
now that I am newly enthused and re-focused on this dream.

I am at a point now where I'm focusing more and working harder to push aside
the excuses, the speedbumps, the barriers, the fears - and am finally moving
forward with some of my dreams in a more fruitful way.  There's a great
quote that says it all for me at this moment.  It's from the movie, Devlin.
One of the characters says, "I'm at that place in my life where I'm not
afraid of dying.  I'm afraid of not living."

So I'm asking anyone who reads this, if you have wisdom to bestow or tips to
share, if you could please take some time when you can, and offer any
program start-up and/or management advice on getting a Tandem cycling
program going, and maintaining it.  Any and all help is appreciated.  And
when you respond, I urge you to keep it public, so that when someone
searches out similar info in the future, they'll find your helpful responses
online.

Along those lines, anyone know of any sort of business plan, program
outline, or other guiding documents for such a thing?  If not, I want to
urge anyone who may ever read this public message, that someone really
should put such a guide together and get it online - to help such
recreational, sports, and 'blind sports' programs multiply and thrive.

Any help will be appreciated.  Tips on development, funding, membership and
participation, and volunteers would be wonderful.  If you're an athlete or
enthusiast rather than a program leader, you can help by sharing tips too.
what's worked for you on finding pilots and captains, for example?  On
finding or building affordable tandems?  On finding ways to ride more
regularly?

For any who respond or take action on this, may God bless your efforts
mightily! Thank you for any help.

Strive On!
Everett
www.DreamingInTandem.blogspot.com