[Ohio-talk] international roaming and your Cell Phones at Convention

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 19 13:36:52 UTC 2009

I just had a lovely chat with a Verizon rep -- who happens to live in
Detroit!  She said that international roaming actually can not be turned
off, but that, instead, I should update my phone before leaving home turf
(with star 228), and then be aware that if my phone goes into roaming mode,
that it is picking up the  Canadian signal.  She said that it is rare, but
that sometimes the signal bounces off the water and roaming occurs.
Bottom line: update before leaving home, and call if the roaming icon
occurs.  I have a phone with speech, but the roaming icon doesn't speak.  I
told her that, so she made a note and said she would just follow up with me
in the next bill cycle.  I told her there would be a few thousand blind
people there for convention and to expect more calls!
Obviously, info for other providers might be different.
Hope this is useful.
Deborah