[Ohio-talk] Question About Ordering the Braille Coin

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Tue Mar 31 12:00:03 UTC 2009

OK, here's the deal. For the next month the Mint has a sale price of $31.95
for the uncirculated and $37.95 for the proof. I don't know if we yet know
how much the price will rise after that time, but I believe that both prices
will be in the forties once that happens. Ten dollars of the price will go
into a fund to be drawn on for Braille literacy projects when the NFB
certifies that the one-for-one match is available and the project has merit.
I don't know how any of that will work; it doesn't even come up till the
coins are sold. And I have heard that, while the amount of coin funding
comes to $10 per coin if they are all sold, it is not that generous if we
fall short. The cost of minting all 400,000 coins must be covered, even if
some are then melted down for the next project.

Proof coins are the ones that collectors collect. They are mirror finish,
and to keep their value you must wash them in mild detergent and distilled
water, pat them dry, and allow to air dry completely after handling. Human
oil from fingers is acid and will etch fingerprints into the coins if not
cleaned off in this way. The uncirculated coins have a mat finish and are
not as crisply stamped. These are intended for handling, though they say
that they should be cleaned in the same way. I bought one of each for
myself, though I have not had the nerve to touch either of them yet. The
chocolate coins we bought are very good for this purpose. You can even feel
the Braille letters on the foil and coin. You can purchase coins from the
Independence Market if you like. This may not answer all your questions, but
it is about all I know on this subject. I suspect that numismatic Websites
will tell you more about the distinctions.

Barbara