[Ohio-talk] Fw: position paper re closing cincy librar for theblindy

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Sat May 23 13:21:11 UTC 2009

In my opinion it is far too late to do anything about the closing Cincinnati
Library. We talked about this likelihood last fall. I notified people served
by the Cincinnati Library and suggested then that you all might mobilize
protest about losing service, but I rather gathered that there was little
interest among patrons of that facility. In fact, most states have only one
library to serve the entire state, yet people seem to be served anyway.
Particularly now that many of us are downloading our own books, it may be a
reasonable sacrifice for blind Ohioans to make in these tough times to drop
back to one library. It is pretty clear that, want the change or not, we are
going to get it. The staff at the Cincinnati library has already been cut
back, and Donna Fouste has expressed no interest in trying to save those
jobs. Of course people can do what they like in trying to organize
something, but I see little point in trying at this late date and it might
harm our effort to preserve NEWSLINE in the Senate.

Barbara