[Ohio-talk] Fw: position paper re closing cincy librar fortheblindy

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Sat May 23 18:32:44 UTC 2009

Barbara,
Sadly, my attitude was much like the one you have expressed in this email
until recently, when I got a much clearer picture of the situation.
Although there are only three states with two regional libraries, many
states have several subregionals -- thus several satelite locations from
which books are mailed.
Like you, my first reaction was that I wasn't borrowing cassettes any more
anyway.  I now feel very ashamed of that reaction.  It was complacency and
perhaps selfishness.  My guess is that less than 5 percent of those served
in Ohio know how to download books, maybe fewer.  There are 10,000 served by
Cleveland, 5,500 by Cincinnati.  Thus, Cleveland will be facing a 50 percent
increase in the numbers to be served.  Meanwhile, they have a staff of 13.
Steve Prine, NLS staff, says that a staff of 42 would meet the NLS standard!
Thus, they are operating already at 38 percent of the NLS standard.  Barbara
Mates says they hope to be able to increase staff to 16.
People are already reporting a high number of broken Cleveland is not able
toinsepct books.  One older person here reported recently that she received
a book with a note inside -- written by the previous borrow to library staff
regarding the defective book enclosed.

Yes, you did talk to us in November.  And I called. Donna Foust has never
been particularly warm or forthcoming with information and when I called,
she gave me the same vague notion that it was a "done deal".
It wasn't.
There was $535,000 that would have been allocated to Cincinnati this year
had Kim Fender requested it -- but she didn't.
That's the money that we are asking be reassigned.
Please rethink your position  on this.  If you believe it is too little, too
late, none of our members will try to help.
This merger will significantly diminish the service to Cincinnati, Dayton,
and other southern Ohio areas.
Yes, I download my books and don't borrow cassettes any more.  But what
about all of those older people who don't even know what download means?
And what about all the newly blind people who don't have the resources to
buy Victor Streams?
And yes, we will eventually be getting new NLS players.  And how in the
world are 15,000 patrons going to learn how to use them when there is only
one staff of 13-16 people, all of them already overwhelmed, to explain to
them?
I truly apologize for the length of this missive, but I frimly believe we
*DO* have a chance if the blind of Ohio start contacting state senators on
Tuesday and don't stop until the week is out!  Without your encouragement,
that's not likely to happen.

Thanks for listening,
Deborah