[Ohio-talk] Fw: position paper re closing cincy librar fortheblindy

Barbara Pierce bbpierce at pobox.com
Sun May 24 13:49:09 UTC 2009

Dear Deborah,
Let me say forcefully that I am never opposed to better service for blind
people. I was pretty dismayed at the lack of interest in the dying library
problem last fall, so I just abandoned my efforts to persuade the people
most immediately concerned that they should do something. I was no longer
president, which meant that I was no longer setting policy , so I shut up. I
am, however, worried and concerned at the situation even though I personally
will not be much affected. No man is an island, and you are absolutely right
that thousands of people will have their service diminished by this
reduction. I will certainly call my senator next week, and I urge J.W. to
take a stand with the entire senate on behalf of the organization. I hope I
have made my support clear if you think it will make any difference. As
Richard says, tell us who to call, and I will be on the job. I am one
member, though, and the elected leadership and the membership, particularly
in the south, are the ones who must set the tone and the pace.

Barbara