[Ohio-talk] Question of philosophy

vfugate at woh.rr.com vfugate at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 25 23:25:54 UTC 2009

	I would like to share what the National Federation of the Blind
means to me and how the organization has better myself as a person.

	The National Federation of the Blind is an advocacy organization to
ensure that we have the same equal and fair opportunities just as our
sighted counterparts.  Our goals  are to educate the public of our
capabilities, and to eliminate prejudices and discrimination due to
ignorance and arrogance.

	The first organization I belonged to was the ACB, and that was
because that was the only organization of the blind I was told about in my
area, they were called the DAVIP Chapter of the ACB.

	I was an active member in this chapter, and I even made a website
for the ACB in my area.  However, the ACB did not educate me on how to deal
with my blindness.  They were too busy arguing over personal issues that had
nothing to do with blindness such as religion, politics, and many other
issues.  Now there is no ACB chapter in the Dayton area.

	Eventually I heard about the Miami Valley Chapter of the National
Federation of the Blind.  Since then my NFB chapter has become like a family
to me, and I feel the same way about many people else where in the NFB in
Ohio.

	If I have any problems, need any help, or just need to talk to
someone there are several people in my chapter I can call.  The National
Federation of the Blind has gave me hope and helped me even when I thought
that life as I knew it was over when I started to lose my vision.

	All though what I have said may sound good, hopefully, I also have a
sister that is a member of the ACB and she could argue that the ACB is just
as good as the NFB.

	It is my opinion that we all need to work together as best as we
can.  Further more, my NFB Chapter has had it's share of problems, and even
I have  had some bad experiences with people in the NFB.  In spite of that
of that I did not give up, and I do not try to impose my personal beliefs on
others.

	I am part of the National Federation of the Blind because I believe
in their cause, their goals and agenda.  If the ACB is the same, and people
have a good ACB Chapter in their area then so be it.  I strongly believe we
all need to work together the best we can to ensure we have the same civil
rights as anyone else is entitled to as a person.

	That's my 2 cents!

Vince,
Board Member of the
Miami Valley Chapter