[Ohio-talk] Oops -- this time I'll include the column!

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 7 23:30:30 UTC 2010

This time I'll actually cut and paste the column from the site -- which I
wanted you to see because of the people included in it.
The link, if you want to see it in original form, is www.dispatch.com.
Deborah (who is exceedingly dithery today!)
*****
Deborah Kendrick: 2009 held losses, gains for disabled | The Columbus
Dispatch

2009 held losses, gains for disabled

Tuesday,  January 5, 2010 2:50 AM

By Deborah Kendrick

jan/kendrick05.IMG_01-05-10_A9_2QG6UBG

It's a brand-new year already, and beginning anew always seems more solid
somehow with a summary of the previous year in hand.

Here, then, are just a few of the highlights (and lowlights) affecting
Americans with disabilities in the year 2009.

In Washington on July 26, the 19th anniversary of the signing into law of
the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act, President Barack Obama signed the
treaty

supporting the U.N. Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities.
Thus, our country joined forces with the 100-plus nations preceding us in
support

of ensuring dignity, respect, and equality for some 650 million people with
disabilities around the globe.

In November, "Rosa's Law" was introduced in the Senate by Sen. Barbara
Mikulski of Maryland. Following the lead of many states, including Ohio,
this bill

proposes that the thousands of references to "mental retardation" or
"retarded" be replaced in federal law books with the more respectful term
"intellectual

disabilities." Language matters.

People everywhere mourned the losses of Senator Edward M. Kennedy, champion
of disability rights for decades, and Eunice Kennedy Shriver, founder of the

Special Olympics. Not as widely known were the losses of other significant
players on the disability stage.

. Dr. Margaret R. Pfanstiehl died in September at age 76. Founder of the
Metropolitan Washington Ear, the Washington area radio reading service, she
was

a leading pioneer in developing techniques for audio description -- now in
live theaters, television programming, and movie theaters nationwide.

. In October, we lost Ed Eames, founder and president of International
Association of Assistance Dog Partners, who died at age 79. He and his wife
Toni,

both guide-dog users, published, spoke and advocated for people with all
disabilities, particularly those using service dogs.

. Kim Peek, known as the "real Rain Man," died at age 58 last month in his
home in Salt Lake City. The inspiration for the character played by Dustin
Hoffman

in the film that claimed four Oscars, Peek could read two pages at a time
and had some 12,000 books, including the Bible, committed completely to
memory.

Although a physician recommended institutionalization at age two because of
Peek's severe disabilities, Peek's father resisted the idea, raising a son

whose life would inspire millions.

Of course, there were other more abstract losses affecting plenty of people.
The decision to deploy 30,000 troops to Afghanistan undoubtedly will
increase

our population of people with physical and psychological disabilities. The
employment rate of people with disabilities remains abysmally low. And, for

those who live on Social Security's benefits to people with disabilities,
2010 payments will be the same as 2009.

But there were plenty of reasons to celebrate in 2009, too. Here are a few
of my favorites:

2 electronic book reader that would render all books accessible via
synthesized

speech, as well as on the visual display, the Reading Rights Coalition was
formed.

Pressure from the Authors Guild led to Amazon's position that speech would
be available on a book-by-book basis. While limiting the Kindle 2's
capabilities

was certainly no cause for celebration, the formation of the new
organization is.

. And finally, closest to home, the Ohio State School for the Blind's
marching band was the first ever blind marching band to receive an
invitation to march

in the Rose Parade to kick off the New Year. That's a novelty and victory
that no one can resist smiling about and a perfect note to set the tone as
we

look ahead.

Deborah Kendrick is a Cincinnati writer and advocate for people with
disabilities.

dkkendrick at earthlink.net

Story tools