[Ohio-talk] ADA Governor's Advisory Council

Turner, Suzanne Suzanne.Turner at ssa.gov
Fri Jan 8 15:13:50 UTC 2010

 NFB of Ohio, Good Morning:

I have been selected to sit on the Secretary of State ADA Advisory
Council in Columbus.  Our first meeting is Wednesday January 13, 2010.

As I meet with the other members, I hope to provide incite to the NFB as
issues arises, and are brought forth in our quarterly meetings.  I am
not sure as to what the agenda will be over the course of time.  But,
one of my main concerns in the culture of persons with disabilities is
employment.  The President has signed into order that more persons with
disabilities are hired in the Federal Sector.  I will do all I can to
push this initiative, not only for the government to hire, but for the
city, state and private arena to do so as well.

As we are aware of many jobs that have been down sized and closing
throughout our nation, the hiring factor has almost come to a stand
still for people who have a disability.  Therefore, we need to prepare
ourselves to be a light, a listening ear, advocate to aid in the fight
for our culture to be considered for gainful employment.  They too have
children, mortgages, student loans and other essential obligations.

Although we may not even address employment, however it is a focal point
of mine.

Please keep the Council in your prayers and good wishes that we can make
a difference in Ohio and work for the betterment of all people.

Suzanne M. Turner
Legislature Chair, Cleveland NFB