[Ohio-talk] Report on a chapter meeting

Barbara Pierce bpierce at oberlin.net
Mon Jun 27 12:06:50 UTC 2011

Yesterday the Lorain County chapter met with State Senator Gail Manning. She
is new this year as our representative in the state senate. We discussed
public transportation, rehabilitation, the proposed appointment of one
superintendent for the schools for the deaf and blind, and NEWSLINE. As you
can imagine, as a Republican, she was hugely unimpressed with our enthusiasm
for better train service, but she listened and sympathized with our problems
with public transportation within the county-where the county commissioners
are the ones on the hot seat. She also listened carefully to our other
concerns about which she knew nothing, and I think we may have had some
success in shaping the formation of her views on these issues. I urge all
chapters to reach out to your representatives and senators. As soon as they
settle the budget, they will be home for a number of weeks. They might be
happy to attend your summer gatherings and talk a bit about our issues. If
you are a little unsure about what your should say to a legislator, Eric,
J.W. or I can always help you to prepare.

Come on in, the water is fine,

Barbara

Barbara Pierce

Braille Monitor