[Ohio-talk] FW: Picnic/Bike Ride

Richard rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Oct 12 12:00:13 UTC 2011

On October 8th the Miami valley chapter had a tandem bike ride for meet the blind month. The ride consisted of around 30 people. We started out with a cook out with a new member manning the grill even though it was a young lady. We had more food than we could eat. Then we had a business meeting for the first hour of the event. Another new member Tim and Richard bought 2 used bikes and had them road ready. Mike  went to several bike clubs and asked if they would help out. There was 2 clubs in attendance. One older couple had a new tandem bike
 And they rode several of our members. There was members that had not been on a bike since they became blind. There were members that had never rode a bike after losing their sight.
President Payne had some of his family to attend and he rode the bike with his young family members.
We plan to make this an annual event. We think that other chapters should consider events like this. There was a bike rider that normally attends our chapter and she did not think that blind people could ride safely. After the meeting she had a change of mind. This event mint a lot to several people who took part in it. This will help to reach out to a part of the community that we have yet to engage.