[Ohio-talk] Urgent calls to Senators needed

Deborah Kendrick dkkendrick at earthlink.net
Mon Dec 3 15:43:47 UTC 2012

I know some of you called or wrote your senators regarding the Convention on
the Rights of Persons with Disabilities last week, but please, please call
again today!
The vote is tomorrow at noon.
Senator John Kerry - along with several other fellow travelers is holding a
press conference this morning which, hopefully, will educate more people
regarding the importance of this treaty - but there is still a fair amount
of negative and inaccurate information weighing down some of the senators
(including ours).

Basic facts to know about the CRPD:
It was modeled after our own 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act and will
extend the same protections and rights to Americans, including our military,
when visiting other countries.  Obviously, it will also offer those same
protections to blind and other people with disabilities who are afforded no
access to employment or education as we are.
It will not cost us anything!
It will not require additional legislation.
125 countries have already ratified the CRPD - including Canada, Mexico,
Australia, China, and on and on and on.  Why are we so late?
Again, please call your senators today.  You can help make a difference for
blind people everywhere simply by stating that you want the CRPD ratified.
Here are the phone numbers:
Sherrod Brown (202) 224-2315
Rob Portman (202) 224-3353.
And please send this to anyone who might also make calls.
Peace,
Deborah