[Ohio-talk] Happy Memorial Day

Colleen Roth n8tnv at att.net
Mon May 28 14:12:10 UTC 2012

Hi Jw,
Happy Memorial Day to all.
I volunteer for MARS, Military Auxiliary Radio System.
I am in Navy Marine Corps Mars.
To do this, you must have an Amateur Radio License. In MARS we assist the Military by helping in Disasters. We also help with Local Disasters. For example, in 1995 a Hospital in the Northeast had no Communication. Their phone service was out. There were many power outages too.
Some of us in the Midwest helped with Communications for this Hospital. There were some Mars Operators at the Hospital who Communicated on small Handy Talkies, like Walkie-talkies.
Technically, they are called HT's. I was a Net Control for this event. It could have been very serious for the patients and staff at this hospital.
We also sen messages for Veterans on Active Duty and those whoare retired. We also send messages to those who are on Naval Ships.
We take Messages to Army Mars for those who are deployed to War Zones.
I just thought I would share this in case anyone would like to be involved. It is a good way to help others and it is good for those of us who wish to help the Military in some way.

Colleen Roth