[Ohio-talk] Buckeye Update

Eric Duffy eduffy at deltav.org
Fri Nov 9 20:49:15 UTC 2012

This is my first Buckeye Update. I have both attached and pasted everything
included in this update. So you will be able to save and print emboss
anything you wish to keep as part of your permanent record.

Buckeye Update
Friday, November 9, 2012

	What a terrific convention we had last weekend! The Miami Valley
Chapter did a stellar job of hosting the convention. The Merchants Division,
Miami Valley, and the Springfield chapters put together a hospitality night
second to none.
	I could spend all day thanking people and inevitably I would miss
someone or forget to acknowledge a significant event or an outstanding
contribution that someone made toward a tremendous convention for all of us.
So to all of you, thank you for being there, and thank you for what you did
to make this a stronger organization during the convention.
	I must once again, however, take the time to thank JW Smith for his
years of service as president of our affiliate. I have enjoyed working with
him, partying with him, and getting to know him better. I know he will
remain an active part of our movement for as long as he is in Ohio, and that
he will always be a part of the Federation no matter where he is. He is
certainly someone I will turn to for council and support from time to time.
Finally let me especially thank those of you who supported my candidacy for
the presidency of the affiliate. Whether you voted for me or not, and for
that matter whether or not you are happy about the outcome of the election,
I am counting on your support for the good of the organization. We are a
family even when we have our differences. We must remain united in common
cause to change what it means to be blind in the state of Ohio and around
the nation. To do anything less than that would have devastating
consequences for blind people. We are the organized blind of the state, and
our message must be strong and clear.
My presidency will be different from that of JW and for that matter from
Barbara Pierce's. We have different styles, different challenges, and
different opportunities. As I said to the convention, I will lead with all
of the energy, wisdom, strength, courage, and love that I can give to the
organization and to you as individual members of our Federation family.
There is no question that I will do some things differently from the way you
might if you were president. I will undoubtedly make mistakes, but I will
always lead with the best interest of the National Federation of the Blind
of Ohio in mind.
	Our new state office contact information is as follows: phone (614)
935-6965. Our new mailing address is P.O. Box 82055, Columbus, Ohio 43202.
You will want to be sure to use this address for mail dealing with NFB
business.
	The telephone lines answered by JW. and Cheryl Fischer were
disconnected on Wednesday. I want to thank Cheryl for continuing to answer
the phone long after she was no longer paid to do so. I am doing what I can
to reduce our expenses, and eliminating a phone line is one way to do that.
Anyone needing assistance with NFB-NEWSLINER can call 1-866-504-7300. I know
that we will all do what we can to continue to support NFB-NEWSLINE.
	I just received a very nice congratulatory call from Bob Eschbach.
He also said that he and Pat will be coming back to Ohio to live in April.
They will once again be living in the Otterbein retirement community. It
will be a delight to have them back in Ohio.
	The deadline for expressing interest in attending the Washington
Seminar is December 1. We will take the smallest group that we have ever had
from Ohio in the 27 years that I have been participating. I will not make
decisions about this lightly. I will have to consider a number of factors,
above all the financial health of our affiliate. It doesn't matter how many
people I think should go; the real question is how many we can afford to
take. To that end, if you can afford to pay something to offset the cost of
your participation, or if your chapter, division, employer, or civic
organization  can make a substantial contribution toward the cost of the
Washington Seminar, please contact me immediately.
	In this Update I have included the 2013 Committee charges. If you
want to chair or serve on a committee, please let me know by November 23.
The work of our committees is important. I am taking an unprecedented action
and appointing the committees before the beginning of the new calendar year.
This should tell you something about my expectations for the committees.
	I have also included the Braille Literacy Week Proclamation for
submission to city and county governments for adoption. If you have any
questions about what to do with the text, please call or email me.
	I am committed to doing all we can to host a BELL (Braille
Enhancement for Literacy and Learning) Program next summer. I will provide
more specific information in future updates. But I do know that we need to
raise money for the program. Therefore, I am asking all chapters and
divisions to find ways to raise money during Braille Literacy Week. One
obvious way is to recruit people to read. I suggest that we go into schools
to recruit kids to read with family and neighbor sponsorship so that they
can contribute to help others read. It doesn't matter if they read Braille
or print. Blind and sighted adults can read to support Braille as well.
Blind merchants can place donation containers in their locations. We can
help you create signs and PR materials if you contact me.
	Finally, I have also enclosed the combined leadership list of
chapter and division presidents as well as the board of directors. If you
are on this list, please review your contact information carefully and let
me know of any changes that need to be made as soon as possible.Although you
will have an electronic version of this list, I will not mail print or
Braille versions until after the beginning of the new year. This is because
there are upcoming chapter elections.
	I should bring this to a close now. I hope you all enjoyed the
convention as much as I did and that you have now recovered. Enjoy the
weekend.
Eric Duffy
President

	2013 NFB of Ohio Committee Descriptions

	 At the first board meeting of each year the president traditionally
makes the committee assignments for the coming year with the advice of the
board. Here are the charges to the affiliate committees:

DEAF-BLIND COORDINATORS
	Charge: To provide assistance and information to those who are in
this unique community and to serve as a vehicle to foster a positive
relationship for the deaf-blind community.

AWARDS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the awards process, to provide information and
feedback when necessary, and to make reasonable judgments about NFBO awards.

CONSTITUTION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To make sure that all NFBO constitutions are in compliance
with the state and national constitutions, both philosophically and
rhetorically.

CONVENTION PLANNING AND ARRANGEMENTS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To assist and advise the president in the planning and
functioning of our state convention and to provide additional assistance in
planning and executing affiliate activities at national conventions.

EDUCATION COMMITTEE
	Charge: To advise the president about policies, legislation,
strategies, and initiatives in which the National Federation of the Blind of
Ohio should be engaged to improve educational opportunities for blind youth
throughout the state.

FINANCING THE MOVEMENT COMMITTEE  (SUN coordinator), (national fundraising
program coordinator), (Jernigan Fund coordinator), (PAC coordinator)
	Charge: To make members aware of these specific organizational
fundraising opportunities and to implement strategies to increase
participation.

FUNDRAISING COMMITTEE
	Charge: To investigate additional opportunities to increase NFBO
resources and to implement effective fundraising strategies and programming.

LEGISLATIVE COMMITTEE
 	Charge: To increase the organization's visibility and effectiveness
in the state legislature, and to continue to support our efforts in
Washington throughout the year.

MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To implement effective strategies to recruit, retain, and
reinvigorate the chapters and members of the NFB of Ohio.

PROMOTION AND PUBLICITY COMMITTEE
	Charge: To promote and publicize appropriate programs and events,
and to acquire as much positive publicity as possible for such activities.

RESOLUTIONS COMMITTEE
	Charge: To oversee the submission process and to write and
distribute clearly articulated and philosophically sound resolutions.

SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE
	Charge: To conduct the affiliate scholarship program and to develop
and implement effective strategies to increase the visibility of the program
and increase participation.

WEBSITE OVERSIGHT COMMITTEE
	Charge: To facilitate the development and maintenance of our website
and related technological outlets.

National Federation Of The Blind OF Ohio
Combined Leadership List
As of November 9, 2012

Akers, Carol, 614-570-2083 (c)

	purplecakers at yahoo.com

	PO Box 141375 Columbus, Ohio 43214

	Parents Division President

Albers, Sheri, 513-886-8697 (c)

	salbers1 at cinci.rr.com

	9824 Dartmouth Way, Loveland Ohio, 45140

	Board Member; President NFB of Cincinnati

Anderson, Annette, 216-381-1735 (h)

	afanderson at pobox.com

	1623 Maple Rd., Cleveland Hts., OH  44121-1731

	President, NFB of Cuyahoga County

 Baker, Debra, 937-206-2935 (c) or 937-471-5193 (h)

	lahm at pobox.com

	1107 Burt St, Springfield, OH  45505-3222

	Board Member

Day, Susan, 937-938-5455  (H) 937-401-0806 (C)

sday24 at roadrunner.com

5501 Marblehead Dr. Riverside,
Ohio, 45431

Board Member; President NFB of Springfield

Debus, Beth, 586-876-4259

	mbdebus at yahoo.com

	61 Fitz-Henry Blvd., Columbus, OH 43214

	President, Capital Chapter

Driscoll, Sue, 440-358-0352

sdriscoll at att.net

7209 Channing Lane, Mentor, OH 44060

	President, NFB of Lake County

Dudley, Aleeha, 937-733-0525

	Blindcowgirl1993 at gmail.com

	PO Box 31, New Paris, OH 45347

	President, Student Division

Duffy, Eric, 614-935-6965 NFB-O Office 614-377-9877 (c)

	eduffy at pobox.com

	P.O. Box 82055 , Columbus, OH 43202

	NFB-O President

Fohl, Barbara, 440-964-7824 (h), 440-812-8594 (c)

	barbfohl at pobox.com

	1116 Thayer Ave, Ashtabula, OH  44004

	NFB-O 2nd Vice President; President, NFB of Ohio Senior Blind

Hindel, Shelbi, 614-558-8059

	shelbiah at att.net

	185 Crestview Road, Columbus, OH 43202

	NFB-O Secretary

Kendrick, Deborah, 513-321-2228 (h), 513-673-4474 (c)

	dkkendrick at earthlink.net

	2848 Ridgewood Avenue, Cincinnati, OH 45213-1062

	Board Member

Lewis, Deanna, 513-328-7976 (c)

	deannaandpascal at gmail.com

	2723 Harrison Ave., Apt #2, Cincinnati, OH 45211

	Ohio Association of Guide Dog Users (OAGDU) President

Lutz, Annette, 614-263-5599(h) 614-288-4323 (c)

77 W. Jeffrey Place
Columbus, Ohio 43214
annettelutz at att.net.

President, Ohio Association of Blind Merchants

McClain, Crystal, 937-935-6188 (c)

	1070 Twp Rd 181, Bellefontaine, OH  43311

	mcmcclain at columbus.rr.com

	Board Member

McConnell, Richard, 740-452-9187

	392 Bailey St, Zanesville, OH  43701

	President, NFB of Muskingum County

Payne, Richard, 937-298-6677 (h), 937-829-3368 (c)

	rchpay7 at sbcglobal.net

	1019 Wilmington Ave., Apt.43, Kettering, OH  45420

	NFB-O First Vice President; President, NFB of the Miami Valley

Peters, Bruce, 330-780-5827 (c)

	1670 Liberty Dr., Akron, OH  44313

	Board Member; President, NFB of Greater Summit County

Pierce, Barbara, 440-775-2216 (w), 440-935-4511 (c)

	bbpierce at pobox.com

	237 Oak St., Oberlin, OH  44074-1517

	Board Member; NFB-O President Emerita; President NAPUB of Ohio

Pool, Mary, 330-455-2831 (h), 330-933-1830 (c)

maryepool at att.net

	131 5th St, N.E, Apt 315, Canton, OH  44702

	 President, NFB of Stark County

Roth, Colleen, 419-661-9171

	n8tnv at att.net

	1912 Tracy Road, Northwood, OH 43619-1307

	President, At Large Chapter

Ruth, Sherry, 440-324-4218 (h), 440-281-6959 (c)

	babyruth2 at windstream.net

	6922 Murray Ridge Rd., Elyria, OH  44035

	NFBO Treasurer; President, NFB of Lorain County

Sloan, Wanda,  937-580-1792 (c)

	wsloan4 at roadrunner.com

	1300 Genesis Way, Apt. 218, Dayton, OH 45417

	President, Diabetes Action Network of Ohio

Turner, William, 216-355-4577

	william.h.turner at ssa.gov

	1064 E. 167th St., Cleveland, OH  44110-1523

	Board Member, President, NFB of Cleveland